how to select new Nitrox in Teric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Jastrzebski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have to admit that when I finally figured it out I had this "Eureka" moment but I wish Shearwater had put it as a tip in their manual. It is far from "obvious".

The issue: You are OC Rec, Nitrox, single-gas-diver and want to select a new Nitrox mix before your dive and make sure this is the ONLY active mix in your computer. Using "select gas" doesn't work well because you have to go now to "edit gases" and turn off your old mix otherwise you end up with 2 active gases (it actually did happen to me during a dive). The goal is to do it quickly with minimal number of steps. Before I tell you what my solution is I want to hear what others discovered, maybe there is a way to do it even better.

Just edit the mix you've already set?
That's the method indeed however it didn't originally work for me, I had 5 mixes in my Teric: 32, 31, 30, 29, 21. "31" was my active and say I wanted to edit it to 30 - won't work. But there is a work around ...

I don't bother to deactivate other mixes. Just select and go. Yes, this impacts the planner, if that's important to you.

Sorry not to sound rude but please remember what the Teric computer was intended for. Most of us that are buying computers like this actually want the gas selecting to be like that. The Teric is a multi gas technical diving computer (arguably one of the most powerful on the market) it is not a simple computer. Shearwater can only limit its functions to a certain degree because many of us need that ability to turn gases on and off and edit them mid dive. I actually wish you could add more than 5 gases, this is my biggest complaint about all the Shearwater platforms.

Yes editing gases and having to turn them on and off and having the ability to select them during the dive for some might make things more complicated but remember you bought a Teric that what the whole point of it. Shearwater did this on purpose.

That's the method indeed however it didn't originally work for me, I had 5 mixes in my Teric: 32, 31, 30, 29, 21. "31" was my active and say I wanted to edit it to 30 - won't work. But there is a work around ...
Yeah because you already have a 30 set, just turn on the 30 then the 31 off?

Yeah because you already have a 30 set
Correct diagnosis.
just turn on the 30 then the 31 off?
Wrong solution since it involves the same old procedure of first selecting active and then "off-ing" the other one.

The only 'clever' way to do it is to have silly other 4 gases that you will never use.
For example now I have: 49,48,47,30,21.
Position "30" is my permanent active and if I want to change this to 32, 31, or whatever - no problem, just a quick single edit.

Not following... Why is there an issue if you have all set to "off"?

Sorry, I have not yet used mine and want to understand it better.

Teric01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom