How To Slow Unwanted Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So in the event that there is an upwelling of current or a BCD buoyancy problem, what are some ways to slow a rapid ascent. Obviously a risky situation that may be somewhat rare. But I had thought their must be a procedure to correct it.

For an upwelling I've not encountered one fast or that carries me high enough to be dangerous, I generally just swim out of it at a 45° angle, dump air my bcd to be negative and exhale to be a little. Keeping yourself as steamlined as possible.

For a stuck BCD power inflator, having drilled the skill of venting air from the BCD while fixing the source of the problem to quickly normalize again is important, disconnecting a LP quick disconnect hose with gloves takes practice. Prevention with predive equipment checks and proper maintenance is the best cure. Increasing your drag by splaying out your fins and legs helps slow the ascent a little while fixing the problem.

Most importantly don't close your airway, the air in your lungs may be expanding more rapidly than you expect.

Hope this is helpful.
Cameron

depends a lot on the gear..you want to dump gas in this situation..either using inflator hose or the butt dump..spread eagle will create more surface area which requires more uplift. so horizontal spread eagle ,tilt a bit forward and try to dump air from the butt dump valve until you are back in control.

..spread eagle will create more surface area which requires more uplift. so horizontal spread eagle ,

Good advice, but note BCD issue and upcurrent are different physically.

Spread eagle increases your resistance to moving with respect to the water column. In the case of BCD issues it slows you down as you rise. However, if the whole water column is moving up, you have the problem of rising with respect to air pressure in BCD without also rising (at first) with respect to the water column. So as noted with upcurrent it is important to try and get negative and out of the current.

You can also dump from the shoulder dump on many BCDs. Mine dumps pretty fast. I can empty BCD in just a few seconds.

Good advice, but note BCD issue and upcurrent are different physically.

Spread eagle increases your resistance to moving with respect to the water column. In the case of BCD issues it slows you down as you rise. However, if the whole water column is moving up, you have the problem of rising with respect to air pressure in BCD without also rising (at first) with respect to the water column. So as noted with upcurrent it is important to try and get negative and out of the current.

You can also dump from the shoulder dump on many BCDs. Mine dumps pretty fast. I can empty BCD in just a few seconds.
Good point.. Didn't write read the whole text it seems

If you're flat in the water to begin with, you can just go head down and fin downwards. That will also put you in position to simultaneously dump air from the rear dump if you have to.

Getting your weight dialed in you will have little to no air in your BC to expand. Stuck inflator disconnect the hose and deflate and fin down as rongoodman said. Many divers I see are overweighted in my opinion which can exacerbate buoyancy issues because you are carrying a lot of air in your BC to compensate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom