How to Splash With a GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was curious about how many of you enter the water with your camera gear, specifically when doing a GS entry from a boat.

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black that I will have mounted on a UK Pole and was wondering if you attach a bolt snap to the pole using cave line and then clip it off on the BC or is there another way that would be better to use?

Mine is on a short extendable pole. 1 1/2 inch stainless split ring on the grip of the pole (there is a slot for the ring) and use a double ended bolt snap to clip it off to a d-ring or my back plate for entry and exit. No problems or issues doing it this way either giant stride or backroll.

Jay

Mine is on a short extendable pole. 1 1/2 inch stainless split ring on the grip of the pole (there is a slot for the ring) and use a double ended bolt snap to clip it off to a d-ring or my back plate for entry and exit. No problems or issues doing it this way either giant stride or backroll.

Jay

Perfect. Glad to know I was on the right path. I have a UK Pro Pole 38HD on the way and am excited to put my system together and give it a try.

I've got the UK 40 carbon fiber, and I use a bolt snap with cave line on the end of the handle. I also have a second bolt snap with cave line just past the first part of pole w/ grip. In essence, it's at the bottom of the first extension. With this setup, I attach the go pro upside down with bolt snap on bottom of handle attached to my left shoulder d-ring and the other bolt snap to my left side d-ring. This keeps it nice and secure and not swinging around.

I've got the UK 40 carbon fiber, and I use a bolt snap with cave line on the end of the handle. I also have a second bolt snap with cave line just past the first part of pole w/ grip. In essence, it's at the bottom of the first extension. With this setup, I attach the go pro upside down with bolt snap on bottom of handle attached to my left shoulder d-ring and the other bolt snap to my left side d-ring. This keeps it nice and secure and not swinging around.
ask someone to pass it to you once your in the water or clip it off on a rope and lower into water first

I use the PolarPro strapmount rig and attach it to my BCD. Not near as sophisticated but it worked really well for me when I tried it for the first time. It also has a release lever so you can hold the "wand" and tether it to your wrist.

Attachments

• IMG_6062.PNG
    IMG_6062.PNG
    91.3 KB · Views: 122
I use an actual tray for my GoPro if I want good video. The poles are too flighty and the resultant footage is hard to watch.

I use an actual tray for my GoPro if I want good video. The poles are too flighty and the resultant footage is hard to watch.

Awesome stuff. The gopro hero 5 is supposed to have stabilization to help do away with that but yeah tray is legit.

I agree, but I can't stow a tray like a pole, and I'll end up not taking it,so the pole works best for me, since I'll actually use it. I'm pretty new to underwater filming, so I can imagine getting a tray setup as I progress. I can still barely operate my GoPro. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom