How to tell age of Luxfer tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at picking up an older tank, but I'm not sure if it is too old.
Last inspected 91/92
#'s on tank are ..CT-3AL 3000 P514568 LUXFER 08 ^ 90 - S80
Is this one of the Luxfers that they will not fill anymore?
How can I tell what year it was manufactured.

Thanks!

Looks like it was make 08-90 (August 1990)

Doesn't fall into the Luxfer tanks that were 6351 Alloy made 1998 and before based on the date.

#'s on tank are ..CT-3AL 3000 P514568 LUXFER 08 ^ 90 - S80

The 3AL means it's aluminum alloy
The 3000 is the working pressure, 3000psi
the P514568 is the tank serial number
Luxfer is who made it
08 ^ 90 is the date of the first hydrostatic test, which is manufactured date.
the S80 is the volume/size, or 80 cubic feet.

you will most likely have a couple other hydro dates stamped on the tank near the neck. If your last one was in 1991, then it's most likely time to get it done again.

This graphic should help some
tank_read_alum_tank.gif

Some shops will fill the 6351 tanks, some will not. Just depends on the shop and who they trust who did the visual. As long as the older 6351 tanks are properly inspected, they are still safe to use. (I'm sure some will have opinions though).

For reading see
http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20041012.shtml
http://www.psicylinders.com/library/Current/6351_review.htm

The DOT also released a "Revised Requalification and use criteria" for 6351 cylinder in August 2006.
http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf97/411928_web.pdf

Take the tank to a LDS and have them VIP and Hydro the tank... if it passes both then you are good to go with a divable tank... if not, well you can make a really cool lamp out of it...

YES! Sweet... love it!

Instead of "3AL 3000" the older Luxfers will say "E9798" on them. That's Luxfer's special permit number used for 6351 aluminum.

mike_s:
Looks like it was make 08-90 (August 1990)
Doesn't fall into the Luxfer tanks that were 6351 Alloy made 1998 and before based on the date.

The 3AL means it's aluminum alloy
The 3000 is the working pressure, 3000psi
the P514568 is the tank serial number
Luxfer is who made it
08 ^ 90 is the date of the first hydrostatic test, which is manufactured date.
the S80 is the volume/size, or 80 cubic feet.
Good! Thanks Mike (and others) for the quick feedback.
I hope my LDS will hydro and fill this as I prefer baskets and vases to aluminum tanks for lamps :blinking:
It's not a big investment ($20)

rjack321:
Instead of "3AL 3000" the older Luxfers will say "E9798" on them. That's Luxfer's special permit number used for 6351 aluminum.

This is not accurate. All Luxfer cylinders made before June 1988 are considered to be 6351 aluminum alloy

LOOPS:
Take the tank to a LDS and have them VIP and Hydro the tank... if it passes both then you are good to go with a divable tank...

Not necessarily. Older tanks may pass a hydro and a VIP but an LDS or other gas provider still has the option of declining to fill it. Some (many) are simply declining to fill Luxfer tanks produced before 1989 without regard to hydro and VIP status.

at $20 bucks, I'd buy it and get it hydro'd.

I'm not sure what your LDS charges, but most dive shops charge $20 to $25 for a hydro and $5 to $15 for a visual. On average you can get it back for hydro($25), vis($10), and air fill ($5) for about $40 bucks total. You might be able to take it directly to your local hydro facility and get it done cheaper. I can get a hydro, vis+, and air fill for $19 bucks at my local hydro facility.

If it was really dirty they might have to clean it. Figure maybe $15 to $20.

Does it have air in it now? If so that is a good thing as it prevents moisture from getting inside the tank. It also means that your valve is not leaking. (I've bought used tanks before only to find out they had leaky valves and had to replace them (about $45 bucks)). I just mention this because used tanks aren't always a bargain if you've got to spend a lot on them after you get them. I once bought some used tanks, got them hdyro'd, visual'd, only to find out the valves leaked also. By the time I spend all that extra $$$, I could have bought a new tank for about the same price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom