• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How to tell the DM you're not a disaster underwater?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by anchochile, Apr 5, 2019.

1. johndiver999

johndiver999 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    PADI was created well before the late 70’s, perhaps I might misunderstand your comments, Perhaps a typo and you mean the 60’s?????

2. swimlikethefish

swimlikethefish Divemaster

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I agree and disagree at the same time. Early on in my diving career if it had not been for the experience of those on the boat with me I would not be at the level of diving I am now. It helped having better divers on my boat when I was new to the sport. So that I could gain aspirations of what I wanted my diving to be. Without them there, I might have gave up diving 10 years ago. Which would have been a shame.

While it is nice to be left to do what I please on charters. THere are times I will take a boat with only those with equal to or greater experience. So I may have a break. But, I still thoroughly enjoy spending time with newer divers. Maybe my presence has helped a diver or two better themselves, maybe not. But I feel it necessary to help those new to the sport, so that one day they will help the next generation.

JPipes, chillyinCanada and MrBigfins like this.
  3. RockiesFan

RockiesFan Solo Diver

It is up to more experienced divers to bring up the less experienced and it isn't. It should be personal choice and not imposed on them.

4. Seaweed Doc

Seaweed Doc Marine Scientist

The reminder is purely self-motivated: My initial openwater certification was YMCA, and the instructor himself trained in Chicago at what I think was the "mother ship" for YMCA diving. There was a lot to be commended about the program, and commonalities that I think are probably shared with LA County, at least by 1985 when I was certified.

5. gypsyjim

gypsyjim I have an alibi ScubaBoard Supporter

Thanks.
    It is fun to hear history of the Y program.
    All I knew when I decided I wanted to learn to scuba dive in 69/70 was that in our area, the Y was the only game in town.

I am sure that I have long since forgotten much of what we learned in that 7 week class, but it was a thurough program, looking back.
    As the years (decides now) have passed I realized the need to continue to build on that training. Gear changes. (A very painful leason, that)
    Knowledge base evolution, equipment evolution and experience have meant that developing new skills is continually required to stay "on top of your game".

Not meaning to derail, but I enjoyed reading the comments on early YMCA Scuba training.

6. charlier

charlier Marine Scientist

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    On some of our crossing trips, we might go to different dive sites. One site might be relatively shallower than the other site or one site might have stronger currents than the other site. Full disclosure, we are diving at remote sites in Indonesia.

7. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    @Seaweed Doc

The reminder is purely self-motivated: My initial openwater certification was YMCA, and the instructor himself trained in Chicago at what I think was the "mother ship" for YMCA diving. There was a lot to be commended about the program, and commonalities that I think are probably shared with LA County, at least by 1985 when I was certified.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chicago was a very strong YMCA area. I believe you are correct the YMCA dive program was HQed or very strong there.
    Chicago, has always had a very strong diver involvement .

"As I recall" in 1985 the late Harry "Skip" Dawson, LA CO UW Instructor,. NAUI Instructor and YMCA SCUBA Instructor had or was in process of becoming director of the National YMCA SCUBA program .

Harry was a very knowledgeable experienced diver and a incredible specimen of a human -- huge body builder chest and shoulders -- as he often stated "Junior gorilla: shoulders.

Sam

markmud and Seaweed Doc like this.
  8. Saniflush

Saniflush ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

@The Chairman is spot on here. To date my best dive I have had in regards to animal life and diversity was in 10' of water. It is amazing what you can see when you slow down and really look. It took a very seasoned diver on a boat I was on telling me "go half as fast, see twice as much" before it resonated with me.