How to test out new gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pools, quarries, practice, hiring people, these kind folk are going to cripple you, it's a completely different culture here find your local pier walk in have a swim and fiddle around and if something gives you the heebie jeebies just stand up
And get plenty of sand in your stuff and have fun

Cripple him? Doubt it. Note you’re in the new divers area, too.

Did you ask the dive store that you bought your kit from if you can practice with the gear during their pool sessions? That's if you purchased it from a dive store. If you bought it from the internet then you suddenly realize the value of supporting your local dive store. get in the pool and get your equipment sorted out. Know how to do all the basic skills.

Did you ask the dive store that you bought your kit from if you can practice with the gear during their pool sessions? That's if you purchased it from a dive store. If you bought it from the internet then you suddenly realize the value of supporting your local dive store. get in the pool and get your equipment sorted out. Know how to do all the basic skills.
It’s cheaper to give them $50 an hour.

I guess the mindset here is different - we are trained as autonomous divers so even first dive out of OW, I wouldn't have thought twice about going for a dive with a buddy without a DM.

IIRC I bought most of my gear after OW dive 4 so probably my 5th-8th dives were spent trying new gear and getting it sorted. Made sure it was a relatively shallow easy shore dive, made sure my buddy knew I was setting up new gear and just spent the dives tweaking my kit while doing the dives.
Those over here that dive a lot (usually locally) shortly after OW course and continue to dive have the same mindset as you. Those who spend 20 years diving once yearly in the Caribbean totally different.

Hi all, I feel like it's a dumb question, so I'm clinging to the 'there are only dumb answers' theory.

So, wife and I are buying our own kit soon - getting BCDs, and we just bought regs.

So, when people get new kit, what do you do about the opportunity to test them out? I feel like a group dive isn't, of course, the time to see how well our new kit works, and we haven't done any jetty/pier dives before (which I'm sure would otherwise be a good time to test out the kit) - we haven't been diving in our local area before either so couldn't just pick a spot.

So, how do others approach this? Wife and I haven't dived without a DM before - and of course, you want to know the area first - though we have about 60/30 dives respectively
If you bought the new gear in a dive shop, and they have a pool, then ask the shop to use the pool. Mostly likely they will be glad to let you give 'er a go.

If you bought online or from a shop without a pool, then you'll want to track down a shop with a pool. You'll probably have to pay for pool time, or buy something at the shop with the pool so you can use their pool, or take some kind of class. I'd lean towards a class if you're 50 dives in and aren't comfortable diving without a DM yet. Dive shops can take offense to buying online and then using their facility so they may give you a hard time and/or overcharge you if you bought online and tell them that this is the case. I think if I were in their shoes, I might take offense as well. Buying something or taking a class can help you avoid the issue.

Another option might be a public pool, assuming that's a thing in Australia. You'll have to call their office and ask. I'm sure you'll have to pay some amount of money to use the public pool.

Another option might be a public pool, assuming that's a thing in Australia.
Public pools here are more of a thing than dive shops with a pool, I've never actually heard of one. There's several pier dives in Victoria where the OP is from that are "pool like" though.

One answer is to look at joining a local club. These vary a lot, so you'll need to go along to chat to the people. Clubs normally have pool nights or regular trips to lakes/quarries for practice. They also organise dive trips and often have people to help out with skills. In the early days of diving clubs can be very useful. There's also the post dive meetup or drinks night, sharing yarns over a beer/whatever.

Some clubs are attached to Local Dive Shops (LDS). More often they are PADI and may be a little more 'commercial' in their outlook. You will eventually need to get gas for your tanks, often membership with a club gives access to cut price gas, compressors and the like.

Regarding your kit and your location, definitely test in a pool. It's more you getting used to the kit which is most important. However, I'm assuming that you don't have all the dive kit yet, so have a chat to the LDS.

Finally, it's well worth occasionally investing in some coaching. A club or LDS will have people, instructors or DiveMaster/leaders who can help out for a small fee. This will help you build your confidence so you can enjoy your dive and not worry.

Finally, it's well worth occasionally investing in some coaching. A club or LDS will have people, instructors or DiveMaster/leaders who can help out for a small fee. This will help you build your confidence so you can enjoy your dive and not worry.

thanks - on this specific note,

I did just notice that one of the local shops offers a 2 hour buoyancy clinic in a pool for $50 with one of their DM- not PPB (which I'd cover when I do advanced anyway) but a session to help with buoyancy. Could be a reasonable option - they suggest it's good for keeping current, or getting used to new gear like a new drysuit

Piers & Jetties | The Official Tourism Website of the Mornington Peninsula

Get
full.jpg

Octopuses Garden

A
full.png

Snorkeling Melbourne

Grip, people!
full.jpg

And go divin CapnBloodbeard & Missus

Hi all, I feel like it's a dumb question, so I'm clinging to the 'there are only dumb answers' theory.

So, wife and I are buying our own kit soon - getting BCDs, and we just bought regs.

So, when people get new kit, what do you do about the opportunity to test them out? I feel like a group dive isn't, of course, the time to see how well our new kit works, and we haven't done any jetty/pier dives before (which I'm sure would otherwise be a good time to test out the kit) - we haven't been diving in our local area before either so couldn't just pick a spot.

So, how do others approach this? Wife and I haven't dived without a DM before - and of course, you want to know the area first - though we have about 60/30 dives respectively

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Assuming the hoses are the same length as your old regulator, there's no difference in dive technique. And for the BC, if you have that many dives with your jacket BC and you're simply switching to a back inflate, you shouldn't find it any more difficult to dive with. For sure you'll want to make sure everything works before hand, and do a weight check.

If you can easily get in a pool before your next trip, there's certainly nothing wrong with doing a warm up/gear check dive, and if it will make you feel more confident, that's definitely worth something. But I don't think you'll have any problem using a new BC and reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom