How to tie a knot or terminate a bungee line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melt it. I use a lighter after tie a simple knot in the end and snug it down with needle nose pliers. Snip the end, melt, and it's done. Melting the end keeps it from fraying.

Depends what kind of knot you are trying to tie, but I often just use an overhand. Burning the ends as Jim suggested is always done.

Melt the end after cutting, but the type of knot you'll need depends on the function. What will you be doing with the bungee before or after terminating the end?

Here are a few of examples of bungee knots I use.

Simple overhand knot-semi permanent, if I have to remove it, I'll just cut it off. Prevents the end from pulling through a metal eye.

Figure eight knot-a temporary knot to prevent line from pulling through eyelet (i.g. on my wrist computer boot.)

Double fisherman's knot: To make a bungee necklace.

Here is a cool site to explore: http://www.animatedknots.com/

Last edited:
I dip the cut end in Marine Goop. Pretty permanent and there's no big bulge at the end.

Agreed on sealing the ends with a heat gun or flame, but after tying the knot we always put a drop of Crazy Glue (or equiv) on the knot making sure it drops between two passes of the bungee, that eliminates the eventual backing out of the bungee after it's repeatedly stretched, and our knots stay tied!

Man... you guys are hard-core

I've never used anything other than a fisherman's cinch and in all those years I've never had one come loose.

All this melting, gluing, gooping and burning is impressive but.... I mean ... wow... seriously?

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom