How to transport tanks in plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've probably read this, but I thought it would be worth posting what Delta's web site says:

Scuba Equipment

One dive bag containing scuba equipment other than an empty dive tank is allowed as checked baggage. An empty dive tank is allowed with a USD150 USD200 fee each way. The maximum outside linear dimensions may exceed 62 linear inches (158 cm), but oversized baggage fees will be applied. Tanks weighing over 70 lbs will be charged the applicable excess weight fee. Tanks exceeding 100 lbs or 115 linear inches are not allowed.

Scuba Equipment Fees

• 150 USD/CAD or 105 EUR* for travel to all regions (excluding Brazil)
  • 100 USD for travel to/from Brazil
*CAD amount will be charged exit Canada, and EUR amount will be charged exit Europe.

Scuba equipment that exceeds standard baggage allowance will be assessed the appropriate fee based on destination.

I don't think she was asking about their policy, but rather what they do in practice.

Despite this policy being in effect, I have made multiple trips to Mexico with two suitcases loaded with dive gear and have not been charged any baggage fees (I get a free bag due to my Delta AMEX card, and another due to Sky Miles elite status).

I don't think she was asking about their policy, but rather what they do in practice.

Despite this policy being in effect, I have made multiple trips to Mexico with two suitcases loaded with dive gear and have not been charged any baggage fees (I get a free bag due to my Delta AMEX card, and another due to Sky Miles elite status).

Well, sure, if you can pack a (small, obviously) tank in your checked bag, how would the Delta agent at the check-in counter ever know? What you're doing is skirting their rule. I think what they're trying to do is "encourage" you to not put tanks in your checked bags so that they can collect an extra fee. I would imagine plenty of divers pack pony bottles in their checked baggage without Delta knowing.

Have travelled fairly regularly with a pony and never had an issue. Valve off, in a clear plastic bag (to keep luggage lint out). The only issue was on a liveaboard at the end of a trip - could not remove the valve easily. We (the crew and I) finally got it off, but it had somehow frozen on to the tank. Fortunately the engineer had a big ass monkey wrench hidden away where no-one else knew about.

Well, sure, if you can pack a (small, obviously) tank in your checked bag, how would the Delta agent at the check-in counter ever know? What you're doing is skirting their rule. I think what they're trying to do is "encourage" you to not put tanks in your checked bags so that they can collect an extra fee. I would imagine plenty of divers pack pony bottles in their checked baggage without Delta knowing.

good point...and I'm fine with skirting the rule, mostly since I think it's a dumb rule :)

This time last year I put of set of small doubles into my baggage. I never tell the airline WTF is in my bag except when it is a fire arm.

So does anyone know if Delta is still trying to charge for scuba tanks?

So to get right to the point, may I ask if Delta somehow busted you for trying to "sneak" a tank in your checked bag without paying the fee outlined in their rules?

It goes without saying that this rule is impractical to enforce, since airlines in the US don't generally examine your bag before it's checked. Also, can Delta really expect someone to pay the same fee for 3 cf Spare Air as for a 40 cf tank? I'd be livid if an airline attempted to extract a fee for packing a tiny "tank."

So to get right to the point, may I ask if Delta somehow busted you for trying to "sneak" a tank in your checked bag without paying the fee outlined in their rules?

It goes without saying that this rule is impractical to enforce, since airlines in the US don't generally examine your bag before it's checked. Also, can Delta really expect someone to pay the same fee for 3 cf Spare Air as for a 40 cf tank? I'd be livid if an airline attempted to extract a fee for packing a tiny "tank."

No, I've yet to be willing to take the risk that it might be damaged in checked or questioned in carry on. To date, I just rent a tank at my destination. But given that that is usually a 30 or 40 cf compared to my 13 cf. taking my own would be optimal.

Read the Delta rule again. It is talking about checking a full-size scuba tank external to your checked bag. If it is in the bag then the only concerns are valve off, and the size/weight limits on the bag. I almost always travel Delta, and often carry a 13cuft or 19cuft. Never an issue. Youa re not "skirting" anything.....but if if feels good to you to feel like you are ignoring stupid rules, go for it.

The funniest related story I've heard is the guy who dutifully took his valve off and checked the bag, the TSA guy sees it on the x-ray and asks if it is pressurized. "No, the valve is off." "I didn't ask that, I asked if the tank is pressurized." Realizing the TSA guy hadn't a clue, the diver said "No pressure in the tank." "How do I know that?" The diver realizes the TSA guy *really* didn't have a clue, so he says, "I'll prove it." He puts the valve on, attaches his regulator, turns the valve handle, points to the pressure gauge showing zero, says, "There, no pressure." "OK, you are free to go."

Read the Delta rule again. It is talking about checking a full-size scuba tank external to your checked bag. If it is in the bag then the only concerns are valve off, and the size/weight limits on the bag. I almost always travel Delta, and often carry a 13cuft or 19cuft. Never an issue. Youa re not "skirting" anything.....but if if feels good to you to feel like you are ignoring stupid rules, go for it.

While I don't think the rules as written on the Delta website are very well written, and probably open to some interpretation, the first section indicates a charge for an empty tank, while the second section indicates a different charge for scuba equipment.

Scuba Equipment

One dive bag containing scuba equipment other than an empty dive tank is allowed as checked baggage. An empty dive tank is allowed with a USD150 USD200 fee each way. The maximum outside linear dimensions may exceed 62 linear inches (158 cm), but oversized baggage fees will be applied. Tanks weighing over 70 lbs will be charged the applicable excess weight fee. Tanks exceeding 100 lbs or 115 linear inches are not allowed.

Scuba Equipment Fees

• 150 USD/CAD or 105 EUR* for travel to all regions (excluding Brazil)
  • 100 USD for travel to/from Brazil
*CAD amount will be charged exit Canada, and EUR amount will be charged exit Europe.

Scuba equipment that exceeds standard baggage allowance will be assessed the appropriate fee based on destination.

Read the Delta rule again. It is talking about checking a full-size scuba tank external to your checked bag. . . ."

I've read it several times, and I disagree. Admittedly, the wording is not very clear--perhaps intentionally. Again:

"One dive bag containing scuba equipment other than an empty dive tank is allowed as checked baggage. An empty dive tank is allowed with a USD150 USD200 fee each way."

I interpret the first sentence as meaning that a dive tank is not allowed in your checked "dive bag" baggage.

The second sentence is trickier to interpret. Does it mean "An empty dive tank is allowed [in your checked baggage] with a USD150 USD200 fee each way"?Or does it mean "An empty dive tank is allowed [when checked as a separate item] with a USD150 USD200 fee each way"? Or does it not matter? I don't think it matters which way it's interpreted if the first sentence is interpreted as I did. If the first sentence is interpreted as prohibiting dive tanks in checked bags, then that means Delta wants to charge you a fee for empty tanks regardless of what bag the tank may or may not be packed in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom