How to travel with tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A thread that talked about you shouldn't put tanks on your shoulders got me thinking.

Is it safer to load the tanks valve out (towards the back of the vehicle)? I always do that, I guess for convenience more than anything.

Or valve in.

If the theory that carrying a tank on your shoulder is dangerous if you drop, could I assume it is more dangerous to have the valve, where if something happened, the tank is heading in to the cab or front of SUV.

By something happened I mean being rear ended.

For single tanks, I point the valve to the rear so that I can immediately get a good grip on the handle when I'm loading/unloading.

My doubles go into the trunk with the manifold towards the front of the car, because I load/unload those by wearing them.

Take a look at whatever your friends do, and then take a look at how commercial carriers transport gas cylinders. One is convenient and the other is safe. Since I doubt any of us is doing the latter, do whatever works, as they are all equally “safe” or “unsafe”, as the case may be.

Depends on the vehicle. Ideally you transport them standing and securely strapped so they can't move. Most of us can't do that.

Mine are in my trunk with valves facing the side using a tank thing where friction prevents movement.

Vertical with a clamped on valve protector. But that isn't going to happen.
Usually on the side, valves pointing back.
Sometimes in the rear seat footwells with the valve toward the center.

The bigger issue is generally the unrestrained cargo, the tanks are just sitting in place not actually fastened down. Can we say "heavy projectile"? That is where I generally like the footwell location.

I have not owned anything with a trunk in over a decade. Trucks, SUV, hatchback.

You don't want to see the full cylinders of O2 and He and how I haul them.

I put them with the valve facing into the car and secure them with some elastic straps / trunk netting so they dont move around during the ride.

Never had problems carrying them that way.

I put the valves on the side for my twins.

is it unsafe ?

All my tanks go in valve first. I use my weight bag, other gear bags, and loose soft weights to block them in. Although in my Escape, there isn’t much space between my HP80s and the edge of the cargo area.

Also, if you have a SUV or a hatchback, don’t drop the back seat down to give you more hauling space. If something happens on the road, there is nothing blocking your tanks from flying into the front seats. Pile gear in the backseat instead.

If you have to stack tanks on top of each other, use the rubber grippy rug floor protector stuff you can get at Walmart for maybe $10 for a big piece. Helps to keep the tanks from sliding.

Rear end facing forward, bottom of tank against the rear seat backrest. Valve facing backwards. Other gear on top. If I have to brake hard for another idiot on the road, the tanks stay put.

Regardless of whether it's singles or doubles.

Back
Top Bottom