How to treat swimmer's ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the nasal spray into the ear canal. The nasal spray is readily available over the counter.

Whoops! Missed that you meant in the ear canal.

Yes, using the nasal spray in the ear canal is a cheap and available way of getting steroids in there. But that's not a great idea for maintenance therapy, since chronic steroid use can cause ear canal skin breakdown. Not a bad solution if you have a really painful ear and you can't get topical antibioitic and steroid drops.

+1; I can't imagine 90% acetic acid being sold as "vinegar" anywhere; concentrations >25% are corrosive, can cause burns and damage tissue.

Over in them furrin' lands, how is one to know it ain't food grade vinegar, when it's sold in a chemist's and the label's in Dutch or something.(For those unfamiliar: a drugstore is "chemist" in Strine.)

Take a sip, if it's really sour but you can deal with it > it's regular vinegar. :confused: If it burns the tongue right out of your mouth > don't put it in your ears. :shocked: :gas: :rofl3:

Buy it in the market/store....maybe?

Really 90%? I’m no chemist but that sounds kinda toxic.

Long Time Ago. What They Told Me. I Dont Speak Dutch And They Dont Speak Southern.

But What The Lady Said.

Damn n Ipad And Its Keypoasd.

Over in them furrin' lands, how is one to know it ain't food grade vinegar, when it's sold in a chemist's and the label's in Dutch or something.(For those unfamiliar: a drugstore is "chemist" in Strine.)

If it says "vinegar" on the label, it will be anywhere from 3-9% acetic acid. White vinegar is usually 5% wherever you are. It will say on the label in the fine print somewhere.
In my work as a pharmacist, I get to work with "glacial acetic acid" (99.8% pure acetic acid). Lets just say that you can tell the difference as soon as the bottle is opened. The fumes are almost overpowering...

In my work as a pharmacist, I get to work with "glacial acetic acid" (99.8% pure acetic acid). Lets just say that you can tell the difference as soon as the bottle is opened. The fumes are almost overpowering...

Back when I was much dumber I was familiar with the substance. It is used for turning black tar into proper pale horse...

Never ever into the ear canal is a real and serious no-no. As a very active swimmer and also a diver, this one of the hardest things I have finally been forced to learn and to respect. The canal lining of you ear is tender skin. When it is irritated, it is quicly becomes tender, and fragile. Don't subject it to direct contact with a Q-tip. I've given into tempation so many times, and time and again I've had to admit that yet again it was a mistake, it ended badly. I warmly recommend being smarter and learning quicker than I did.

If you really want to have maximum days in the water with no ear problems, respect the old refrain about "never put anything smaller han you elbow into your ear".

If my ears are only a tiny bit sore, I use sensitive-skin (hypoallergenic) hand disinfectant. It was the recommended treatment from a doctor who also happened to be a very active diver. This kind of hand wash contains both alcohol to disinfect and to dry and a tiny bit of moisturizer to sooth and protect the skin by moisturizing. I use this rinse as a precation every night before bed on a liveaboard trip, and at home if I think my ears have been exposed to dirty water, too much chlorine, i.e. as needed.

If my ears are only a tiny bit sore, I use sensitive-skin (hypoallergenic) hand disinfectant. It was the recommended treatment from a doctor who also happened to be a very active diver. This kind of hand wash contains both alcohol to disinfect and to dry and a tiny bit of moisturizer to sooth and protect the skin by moisturizing. I use this rinse as a precation every night before bed on a liveaboard trip, and at home if I think my ears have been exposed to dirty water, too much chlorine, i.e. as needed.

That stuff is kind of a goopy gel. You get it in your ears.....how exactly?

It's glycerin, it's water-soluble.

That stuff is kind of a goopy gel. You get it in your ears.....how exactly?

It comes in sqeeze bottles and in pump containers like liquid soap. Hold over the ear and dispense about 3 drops/ear.

In countries that sometimes give you stomach bugs, this stuff also good for disinfecting your hands, esp. after handling money. Some types come in little bottles that fit well in a pocket or purse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom