How to trim drysuit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharp scissors. I trim one ring at a time on the neck seal until it doesn't feel suffocating. Wrist seals are easier, push your had through and see how much length is tight to your arm and if its bunching at your wrist. Shorten if necessary, leave it alone if its not a problem.

DAAAA217-9F7B-4954-8082-0908D855A0E4.jpeg

The wrist folds over on itself but is comfortable

The wrist folds over on itself but is comfortable

Folded over on itself is not acceptable for silicone. You will likely have leaks. You need to pull it seal down once it’s on your wrist. You will likely have some extra towards the cuff.

Folded over on itself is not acceptable for silicone. You will likely have leaks. You need to pull it seal down once it’s on your wrist. You will likely have some extra towards the cuff.
While my uncut silicone does not fold over on my wrist, it does on my neck. No leaks.

Guess I’ll just have to try it and see what works, thanksgiving for the information

This is one of those things that you don't want to rush. If you are not planning on diving for awhile, I would wait....

I wrote earlier that once I switched to silicone seals, I have never trimmed a seal. I just searched my memory banks and realized I was wrong. I switched mostly to silicone 9 years ago, and I did trim the first one. I think the full story is instructive for this thread.

I switched to the Si-Tec ring system and silicone seals because back then drysuits, and particularly Whites suits, were having a tremendous problem with latex seals suddenly going bad, which I was eventually informed by chemists was almost certainly a job of poor manufacturing of the latex. When I got my suit back, I prepared to trim the neck seal the way I had always trimmed the latex seals, and if you are really curious, a search will reveal the thread in which I described the process. I cut a couple of rings and then wore the suit for a while to decide if it was loose enough, then cut another ring or two, etc.

Sometime later, I had to send the suit in for some other work, and the shop that had originally installed it (Dive Right in Scuba) sent me an email saying that it looked like I had trimmed the neck seal and wanted to know why. Had they sent the wrong size?

I have not trimmed any silicone seals since then.

Two more things about silicone seals.

1. The first ones out were too flimsy and tore easily. I got a lot of practice replacing them because of that. I had to be very careful. The ones made now are much stronger, but you should still be careful.

2. This is more information about folding. As I wrote earlier, my neck seal is always folded over to the outside. One of the problems I have found is, paradoxically, they seal so well they sometimes leak. That is because I have tended not to take enough care with the neck seal because I don't expect them to leak. As a result, I sometimes leave a crease in the fold because I didn't take enough care with it.

Unless its chocking u dive it a few times b4 you trim the neck. For whatever reason it wont feel as tight once u r in the water. For wrist seals I fold them over nice and flat and use a sharp pair of sewing scissors, one cut right across without stopping. For neck seal I slide a tapered construction cone inside it so its just snug and the go around the seal with a razor blade

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom