Answered: How to use +/-Quote options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
OK, this is a little embarrassing. I have poked and prodded the +Quote button a bunch of times over the years and haven't figured out what it does or how to use it.

upload_2020-6-26_6-4-27.png

It just toggles back and forth between +Quote and -Quote while a quick banner message flashes at the top:

upload_2020-6-26_6-8-59.png

Having done that and clicked around I can't see any difference.

OK, this is a little embarrassing. I have poked and prodded the +Quote button a bunch of times over the years and haven't figured out what it does or how to use it.

It just toggles back and forth between +Quote and -Quote while a quick banner message flashes at the top:

Having done that and clicked around I can't see any difference.

In the bottom of the reply box you'll see three blue buttons on the right. When you click the +Quote button a blue button appears on the left side of that bar that says "Insert Quotes..."
If you click on that, then it will bring a box up. If you have multiple messages clicked, say you're responding to a big thread and trying to respond to multiple people, then they'll show up there. Click "Quote These Messages" and they'll automatically show up in the response box.

upload_2020-6-26_9-15-23.png

I've used it a few times, just as @tbone1004 explained.

The insert quotes button does seem to only appear to show up on a page that you have quoted from though. So if you want to quote from page 6, going to the end of the thread at page 9 will not offer you the insert quotes. I just insert the quotes at the bottom of 6 , copy the, then past in my reply on page 9, as an example.

ETA: or maybe I just need to refresh Browser on the page 9.

In the bottom of the reply box you'll see three blue buttons on the right. When you click the +Quote button a blue button appears on the left side of that bar that says "Insert Quotes..."

That's the bit I missed, thanks!
upload_2020-6-26_8-1-16.png

Now, has anyone figured out how to nest quotes like the following besides hacking the [/QUOTE] code location?

@MichaelMc refresh browser and it should hold. You can quote from other threads as well
If you click on that, then it will bring a box up. If you have multiple messages clicked, say you're responding to a big thread and trying to respond to multiple people, then they'll show up there. Click "Quote These Messages" and they'll automatically show up in the response box.

View attachment 594335

I've used it a few times, just as @tbone1004 explained.

The insert quotes button does seem to only appear to show up on a page that you have quoted from though. So if you want to quote from page 6, going to the end of the thread at page 9 will not offer you the insert quotes. I just insert the quotes at the bottom of 6 , copy the, then past in my reply on page 9, as an example.

ETA: or maybe I just need to refresh Browser on the page 9.

Test

Oh yes, I always wondered how people did that.

That's the bit I missed, thanks!

Now, has anyone figured out how to nest quotes
Now, has anyone figured out how to nest quotes like the following besides hacking the
code location?
like the following besides hacking the [/QUOTE] code location?[/QUOTE]
The quote will be inserted wherever your cursor is. For example, as above.

Back
Top Bottom