How/where do I properly learn to drive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }</style>
I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask, but I would enquire of the people who should be in the know about where it's best to learn how to drive smallish crafts, in the diving context. I mean, there are easy to book courses from PADI and probably all other agencies, but I trust the average of those about as far as I can fart on them.

My previous experience is mostly in sailing, and I love navigating in the proper sense (sure, GPS may be handy, but it's no fun at all).
I'm fairly global, too, so if your recommendation would be halfway across the globe (I'm Swedish), I just need a little more time.
A license as such is not required in any way, I just want to learn to do it right.

The British Sub Aqua Club have Boat Handling courses and Diver Cox'en assessments. These can be taken in the UK, or via BSAC Thailand.

Kind regards

I would start with the Coast Guard Small Boat Handling Class. If you do not have a friend that could allow you to practice your launching, anchoring, boat handling and other boating skills then you may have to start slowly with your own boat. I was a dive captain for over 30 years. There are safety measures you want to take that go a little beyond recreational boating. If you ever go out on a commercial boat I'm sure the captain would enjoy talking with you about boat handling and diving safety from his boat. Anchoring without killing coral or sea life is an important skill. Supplying your vessel with adequate emegency gear, knowing where is the closest decompression chamber and knowing how to organize a safe dive are all part of being the captain of a dive boat regardless of it's size. In order to captain a dive boat for hire you have to be trained and licensed. That is because there is a lot of safety aspects to learn before you take people out. Learn from those who know, practice all you can and start with easy dive locations until you feel confident to venture further. It is worth learning. It's great to have the independance of your own boat. Adventure-Ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom