How will you Die?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The next time someone says something like "Why do you dive, aren't you afraid of dying a horrible death?" remember some of these numbers, which are right out of the March '01 issue of Maxim magazine:

• ...a plane crash: 1 in 250,032
  • ...a boating accident: 1 in 393,013
  • ...a car crash: 1 in 6,078
  • ...a car while you are walking: 1 in 44,099
  • ...explosive gases (not your own): 1 in 5,413,959
  • ...getting crushed: 1 in 3,736,394
  • ...ecectrocution: 1 in 550,382
  • ...accidental poisoning: 1 in 27,895
  • ...prescription drugs: 1 in 1,048,553
  • ...a doctor's malpractice: 1 in 90,882
  • ...a murderer: 1 in 12,857
  • ...the police: 1 in 787,193
  • ...a vicious dog: 1 in 11,534,087
  • ...bee's: 1 in 5,895,200
  • ...venomous plants or animals: 1 in 3,901,235
  • ...drowning: 1 in 67,008
  • ...drowning in your bathtub: 1 in 803,891
  • ...a falling object: 1 in 362,410
  • ...lightning: 1 in 4,210,857
  • ...fireworks: 1 in 29,476,000
  • ...a war: 1 in 20,406,462

We should write Maxim and ask them whether they have any data pertaining to deaths related to exposure to the Warhammer Manuever... LOL!

Great numbers, but did I miss Scuba Diving related fatalities. It would be nice to hold those up against these.

I can't say as I'm too thrilled to see the numbers on murder!

And isn't the Warhammer Maneuver still legal for clearing the water of snorklers who stand atop coral heads when they get tired?

Now there's an idea. And think if you had enough propulsion...well draw your own conclusions. SMACK :)

I too would like to see the numbers for diving, but the thing is what you do has alot to do with your individual statistics. For instance an electrician or power company employee would be far more likely to die of electrocution than your average Joe. And I'd think a diver would be more likely to die of drowning than the electrician. Course if you are a frequent flying, scuba diving, snake loving, mobster, you're screwed!

So, Mario...what are the statistics of dying due to explosive gases - your own (I might want to know the stats of dying from your husbands too)? Well, ok...and scuba diving too....I hear it is less than dying while bowling!!

and DiveInAK...what the HELL is the Warhammer manuever??!?!? You all are driving me diving!! Aaahhhh!!

ages

I have some stats on U.S. Diving Fatalities...
  • 1984: 70 divers lost their lives
  • 1985: 76 divers lost their lives
  • 1986: 94 divers lost their lives
  • 1987: 87 divers lost their lives
  • 1988: 66 divers lost their lives
  • 1989: 114 divers lost their lives
  • 1990: 91 divers lost their lives
  • 1991: 67 divers lost their lives
  • 1992: 96 divers lost their lives
In 1991:
52.2% were divers diving for pleasure, 13.4% were under instruction.
Almost half happened Post dive or Late dive.
19 cases were attributed to insufficient air, 15 to buoyancy problems.
The percentage breakdown for cert levels:
  • 6.3% Students
  • 52.4% Open Water certified
  • 14.3% Advanced O/W certified
  • 3.2% Rescue certified
  • 1.6% Divemaster certified
  • Do you see a pattern here!!!

I love looking at statistics, if anyone has more or some that is more current, I'd love to see them.

Mario,

We have a very similar trend here. In the UK there is a major inland dive training site called 'Stoney Cove', there are probably 70,000 divers registered there, and they say that there are 40,000 visits a year (this is probably about right - during quiet weekdays there are probably 60-80 people there, and sat / sun, usually 150-200 +). This makes somewhere in the order of 80,000 - 100,000 dives a year (2 dives a day for students, and more qualified avaraging more)

They have a death every year or so (they have a defibrilator, and chamber on site, + people trained!). All the last 4 or 5 deaths have been open water divers. The local police and coroner are calling for a ban on PADI within the uk. (This will never happen obviously, and the rest of the country sees it as a personal thing, if they even know about it!)

The vast majority have been Open Water with complete sets of new kit. ie just qualified, then gone out and bought a set of their own gear. They have then gone diving with another OW diver. - under PADI guidelines this is OK, since it is conditions similar or better than they learned in (most did their OW course there), and they are diving with another qualified diver.

The lack of basic rescue knowledge in all these recent deaths has been cited as a contributing factor in all cases.

Is it time to consider that some form of rescue training at open water level is necessary? or is it time to change the rules for open water divers? possibly only diving with Rescue Divers (as buddy, not professionally obviously) and above?

Just .02, but certainly pause for thought!

Jon T

Dear all

Could it be that OWD certification imparts a false sense of security? Are people that good at misjudging their own diving abilities? I wonder what the statistics break down in, in terms of age/gender and other factors.

It seems odd in any case. I never got the feeling in the course that I was learning enough to go off diving somewhere with, say, another person who was doing the course with me. I certainly would not trust my life to one of them at this point! It seems safer to dive with more experienced divers and ones who know the area well. Certainly there will come a time when I feel confident enough to dive with less experienced persons, but until then, better safe than too dead to be sorry.

Gozu,

You have more than 1/2 a brain cell don't you!

You can think through things and realise what you are doing. There are those however, that having been told at the end of their open water couse that they can go off diving with other openwater divers WILL.

They, due to their lack of education will be completely oblivious to the dangers they are putting themselves in. This is not a good situation, and one which for the vast majority of (carefull, consciencious, thoughtull) divers doesn't arise. However, it does arise, and sometimes with tragic consequences.

In many ways it is just 'Evolution in action', but that is taking an especially cruel and heartless attitude towards what is a poor situation.

I think that it is time to consider changeing either the course, or what you are qualified to do after the course.

Going back to the title of the thread, It doesn't matter which way, as long as I have a smile on my face!

Jon T

From the data I posted above, the rate of divin accidnets is about 1:100,000

So in rank order

1 ...a car crash: 1 in 6,078
2 ...a murderer: 1 in 12,857
3 ...accidental poisoning: 1 in 27,895
4 ...a car while you are walking: 1 in 44,099
5 ...drowning: 1 in 67,008
6 ...a doctor's malpractice: 1 in 90,882
7 ...SCUBA Diving 1 in 100,000
8 ...a plane crash: 1 in 250,032
9 ...a falling object: 1 in 362,410