How would you clip this light??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need suggestions for clipping this light to my shoulder d-ring. It's a big blue TL3100 Supreme. I was hoping to use my new oxychek raider light sock, but the light is wayy too girthy to fit in it. The soft Goodman handle that comes with the light from big blue has a plastic ring on the right side, and the light itself has that attachment point you see on the right side that seems to be made for a lanyard. There is no place for attaching a clip to the backside of the light.

How would you guys handle this? Cave line or zip tie the clip to the lanyard attachment point on the side? Attach a clip to the handle itself? It's a super cool light with great battery life, the dimensions of it are just a little weird.

20170612_182905.jpg

I've never used one but have seen a couple at the shop I frequent. I would either use a tank o-ring bent in half with a good zip-tie,,

Or just use a double ender.

I have the Big Blue TL3100P and to be honest.....that thing is so big, so bright, I only carry it for night dives. (I don't do any tec or cave diving.) Even then, I don't attach it to me, I carry it. I put it on a lanyard and keep it on my wrist. Or the neoprene hand thing that came with it. If you really wanted to attach it to your BC, you could use a locking retractable option to one of your D-rings on your right or left hip.....

I have the Big Blue TL3100P and to be honest.....that thing is so big, so bright, I only carry it for night dives. (I don't do any tec or cave diving.) Even then, I don't attach it to me, I carry it. I put it on a lanyard and keep it on my wrist. Or the neoprene hand thing that came with it. If you really wanted to attach it to your BC, you could use a locking retractable option to one of your D-rings on your right or left hip.....
Yeah, as much as I would like to keep it on my shoulder, this light may lend itself to attachment at the hip instead. One good thing is, even on my hip, the light should remain pretty streamlined because it's so compact.

Yeah, as much as I would like to keep it on my shoulder, this light may lend itself to attachment at the hip instead. One good thing is, even on my hip, the light should remain pretty streamlined because it's so compact.

I just realized that a locking retractor might not work due to its weight. You might use a coil lanyard like this one here...I use this for my gopro/sea dragon rig so it's pretty heavy and it holds it just fine even when I let it dangle.

If you remember, let me know what you decide. I'd love an update!

Coil-Lanyard

I just realized that a locking retractor might not work due to its weight. You might use a coil lanyard like this one here...I use this for my gopro/sea dragon rig so it's pretty heavy and it holds it just fine even when I let it dangle.

If you remember, let me know what you decide. I'd love an update!

Coil-Lanyard
For sure, I'll let you know what I end up going with. I have a heavy duty retractor on my console that would easily support the weight, but it might get annoying to hold it out in front of me with constant tension after a while. The coil lanyard might be a better option.

For sure, I'll let you know what I end up going with. I have a heavy duty retractor on my console that would easily support the weight, but it might get annoying to hold it out in front of me with constant tension after a while. The coil lanyard might be a better option.

Yup! You could also look for a locking retractor. I don't know if a larger one for heavier items exists - the one I have seen at my LDS is for smaller items like a smaller flashlight...

With two pieces of line, making loops, one going through the holes at the front and one going aroung the back, and a double ender between the two. It has the advantage of having the light pointing correctly down when you are in trim and lighting what you are working on. I'm not quite sure how to explain that clearly, I'll post a picture tonight (I'm at the office right now...).

With two pieces of line, making loops, one going through the holes at the front and one going aroung the back, and a double ender between the two. It has the advantage of having the light pointing correctly down when you are in trim and lighting what you are working on. I'm not quite sure how to explain that clearly, I'll post a picture tonight (I'm at the office right now...).
I think I understand what you're saying. That sounds like a great idea actually. Almost like slinging it like a tiny stage bottle. I can even use some rubber surgical tubing so that the clip doesn't scratch the light. I made a really rough drawing of what I think it would look like, but I would love to see some photos when you get out of work.
Inked20170612_182905_LI.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom