How would you clip this light??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I'm back, with the promised pictures. But first of all, I realized a horrible mistake I made. I don't know why I speak of double enders in the previous message. Of course, I meant a boltsnap. My only excuse I guess is that I am really not a morning person...

Anyways, time for pictures! I hope they'll be more helpful than my horrible explanations (although you do seem to have gotten the gist of it).

The cable tie should fit just well in the grove at the back of the lamp.

Hi, I'm back, with the promised pictures. But first of all, I realized a horrible mistake I made. I don't know why I speak of double enders in the previous message. Of course, I meant a boltsnap. My only excuse I guess is that I am really not a morning person...

Anyways, time for pictures! I hope they'll be more helpful than my horrible explanations (although you do seem to have gotten the gist of it).

The cable tie should fit just well in the grove at the back of the lamp.
A picture truly is worth a thousand words! Looks like a great solution! You have the security of the bolt snap on the hard mounting point, and the light is still able to sit in a proper, streamlined down facing position. I'm totally copying this! Thanks.

BTW, do you know the trick of transporting Big Blue lights while making sure they'll never turn on in your bag? Just unscrew slightly the lamp. You just need minimal unscrewing it will absolutely not turn on. Of course, don't forget to screw it back in before you dive. But even if you forget, if you just unscrewed it lightly, your lamp should still be fine, and you'll just have to screw it back totally underwater. It works for this light as well as for the smaller back-up lights.

BTW, do you know the trick of transporting Big Blue lights while making sure they'll never turn on in your bag? Just unscrew slightly the lamp. You just need minimal unscrewing it will absolutely not turn on. Of course, don't forget to screw it back in before you dive. But even if you forget, if you just unscrewed it lightly, your lamp should still be fine, and you'll just have to screw it back totally underwater. It works for this light as well as for the smaller back-up lights.
Great to know. I was actually wondering about that. Probably makes sense to store it like that as well to prevent battery drain. Thanks.

If it was a double ender instead of a boltsnap the light could be clipped to the right d-ring either facing downward or upward.

If it was a double ender instead of a boltsnap the light could be clipped to the right d-ring either facing downward or upward.
True, but it would also introduce another point of failure that could accidentally open.

As shown in the picture, it can already be clipped either pointed down (shown in pic) or up (by un-clipping the rear bungie).

Last edited:
True, but it would also introduce another point of failure that could accidentally open.
You are right, but how long should the light be clipped ? I think just during task requiring both hands - e.g. during tanks rotation (in a multi stage dive) or during the DSMB deployment.

As shown in the picture, it can already be clipped either pointed down (shown in pic) or up (by un-clipping the rear bungie).
Yes, I see that the light would be hanging, but it would also be less streamlined and, just in case of bungee failure, nothing would retain it from relentlessy sink.

Last edited:
Interesting point of view. But I guess that's also the beauty of this place: exchange POV and in the end, try what fits the best for you.

As for myself, I don't really see when I would want the light clipped pointing up? Either I'm horizontal, and it would only point at my body, lighting nothing of interest, or I'm vertical, and I wouldn't want such a bright light that close to my face. Am I missing a configuration?

I usually only clip it when I'm working on something where I need my two hands, and that usually happens below me.

Also, knowing myself, there's a much bigger chance of me accidentaly clipping the bottom end open than the bungee failing. So I think I'll keep it as is (although I'm quite intrigued and might just try the double ender someday - I like to fiddle with my gear). And if the light relentlessly sinks to the bottom (which, again, knowing myself, has a much higher change to happen because of me dropping the light rather than the bungee breaking), well, I guess that's what back-up lights are for.

(Talking about dropping the light, I need to find a solution for the Goodman handle. Even at the tightest setting, it's too large for me, I can put my two hands through. But I guess that should be a discussion for another thread...)

(Talking about Goodman handles, one of my friends threaded a large bungee going throught the slots on each sides, and above the lamp. It's great to fit a few REMs and arrows on it, on the side of the lamp. I should steal this idea from him.)

(And I really should learn to stop with my digressions).

Last edited:
Digressions always welcome!

I do think you missed the configuration for telling scary underwater ghost stories. In that case you will need to have a light clipped and illuninating your face from below for dramatic effect. :popcorn:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom