How would you do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my OW course I was taught both methods, but not how to do them neutrally buoyant. That I learned in my rescue course, where I also learned how to turn on my own tank as well as how to sneak up and turn off a dive buddies tank....it was a good course.

Anyways, personally I do the reach back and grab the hose method. My logic behind this has been on a standard reg setup if you grab either of the hoses on the right side you're going to end up with a second stage at the other end!

I try to get folks to do this horizontal or near horizontal with maybe fin tips or knees lightly touching, but not vertical and planted to the pool bottom. They get the tactile feedback of the bottom of the pool touching their fins, and experience how being neutral (or near neutral) feels. With a little extra work in the pool, these skills are much easier to do in open water.

I taught my sons to do the regulator sweep, but we did not do it that much. I did however drill it into their heads that if something happens to their primary reg, just switch to the pony around your neck right away. Don't signal me, don't try to get my attention, don't expect for me to offer my reg.... secure your OWN pony bottle reg..... THEN you can search for the other one, deal with the problem, tell me about it..etc.

It took me 20 years of screwing around with various "safe second" stowing options.. ALL the store bought methods sucked bad and I devised alternatives that were cheap, robust and effective.. I used secure clips and even break aways that could be ripped off in an instant in an emergency, but eventually I saw too many accidents and problems and was convinced that the necklace was the best place for the back up reg..

As I was reading your post about missing the primary on the first sweep, I immediately said to myself, "grab the alternate and breathe from that, then go find your primary," so I was happy to keep reading and hear you talk about that. In my OW class, we learned the sweep method, but it was on our knees. I've since been able to practice (both in a pool and OW) the sweep method in a horizontal position just to learn it and have that skill ready if needed. I have also just switched to a BC inflator-integrated alternate, which is always (obviously) attached to my BC inflator hose. Therefore, if I was in a "dramatic" primary dislodged situation (i.e., it was kicked out of my mouth by a dufus fin), I would probably just grab my alternate because it's right there (and breathes great) and take my time to find my primary. I also wouldn't know if the primary was busted due to the way it was dislodged, so I'd rather grab what I know to be working before sweeping for my primary and then realizing the dufus fin popped the mouthpiece or something like that.

I remember being taught to do the sweeping the arm back technique but after a few failed attempts at doing it I just reached my hand over my shoulder and grabbed the hose where it connected the the 1st stage and got it that way, that's the technique I still use. I eventually managed to get the hang of the arm sweep so I could teach it but I still prefer just to reach over my shoulder. Nowadays I mostly dive an old fashioned twin-hose which is another totally different technique again :D

I've seen a number of students do the "I got the octo and it's the wrong regulator" thing in the pool. Students will very earnestly try to do what they think you have asked them to do, whatever their interpretation of that is, and even if it doesn't make a great deal of sense. One has to be very careful with what one tells students. Peter briefed the surface nav skill one day by telling the students that they had to do the exercise with their heads in the water, and that if they stopped and lifted their heads to get their bearings, they'd have to do it again.

One of the students turned out to be one heck of a swimmer, and took off like a scalded cat. The CA assigned to monitor her was left behind, and the student swim almost a quarter mile into Elliott Bay before a kayaker we hailed was able to stop her. I now treat students like computers, and carefully analyze all the ways that anything I say can be misconstrued before I say it :)

I was taught both standard methods on my knees. Later an instructor told me the best way no matter where you are is to grab your A$$ and you'll find it (the regulator). Of course if it's flipped behind your head/tank, etc. that won't work (though A$$ will be found). I am surprised that out of the 7 or so instructors I've worked with only one mentioned to the class that you can always just grab your own alt. if you can't find the primary. That would be the simplest way if you just can find it and need air asap. When I take my pony bottle that reg goes around my neck with a bungee.

The Questions:

How were you taught to: 1. 'Wear" your alternate 2nd stage 2. "Recover" your primary regulator, and 3. Is that the way you think you'd recover it, should you have occasion to "lose it."

Regards,
DSD

1) Cannot remember if I was actually taught where it is to be. Because of the hose length and the side it is on, I attach it to the D ring on the right side of my BCD.

2) Sweep, sweep, and more sweep. However, if I need air, my nice yellow one is right there hanging there waiting for me to grab it.

3) I only seem to loose it when I am on land, or on the surface. after a few attempts, I ask my buddy for help.

You cannot teach common sense.

So then I ask them: "wouldn't it be great if you had a 2nd regulator, located in an easy-to-find / easy-to-access location, that you could utilize first, then locate your primary regulator in comfort & calm?"

Ah, to watch the lights come on!

"Yes, of course it would! We DO in fact have such a regulator in such a place!!"

Did any of these students (or you) consider that their buddy's back-up reg might just do the trick, too?

Back
Top Bottom