How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true at 19 a person is responsible of quite a bit, however, even the most responsible 19year old male in the planet is still brain damaged, i don't think humans grow out of that problem until their mid to late 20's and sometimes much later... seems to me that's what some of the posters mean when they say he is a kid.

This person call him what you want, but he was minding his own business not doing anything illegal when suddenly a stranger comes to him to tell him what he did is wrong.
If it is me I wouldn't take it. I wish one of the people in the scene would've called the police. I know I would have if I was the kid. Bit I am a lot older, back when I was 19 I would've made and @$$ of myself because I didn't do anything ILLEGAL

I don't know what's the situation on that particular area, Maybe instead of bullying him people should direct their energies into changing the rules on that area. I have no sympathy for poachers I would turn them in the instant I see them, but I do get dinner every time I have the chance on any of my dives, I make sure to follow the regulations. Seems to me this guy did.

If he is racist, if he gives attitude to his teachers or doesn't floss regularly should have zero relevance on this situation.

This person call him what you want, but he was minding his own business not doing anything illegal when suddenly a stranger comes to him to tell him what he did is wrong.
If it is me I wouldn't take it. I wish one of the people in the scene would've called the police.

Which wouldn't have done a bit of good, since confronting him in the way that was reported is also not illegal. He can legally hunt GPO there for now, and everyone else can legally yell at him for doing so (the usual caveats applying, of course). This will come as a shock to some, but just because your conduct is legal doesn't mean you have the right to be left completely alone for it.

This will come as a shock to some, but just because your conduct is legal doesn't mean you have the right to be left completely alone for it.
Absolutely!
Respect has to be earned.

Back to the original question:
Bob has done the right thing, no question about it.
I would probably do the same as well.

Dr Lecture I haven't seen where anyone in this thread has said its not legal to yell at the kid or that he has to be completely left alone. Can you point me towards that post?

Which wouldn't have done a bit of good, since confronting him in the way that was reported is also not illegal. He can legally hunt GPO there for now, and everyone else can legally yell at him for doing so (the usual caveats applying, of course). This will come as a shock to some, but just because your conduct is legal doesn't mean you have the right to be left completely alone for it.

Well, you put me to think now... and to do some research too. I make a point to stay away from people pretty much everywhere I go, and I was always under the impression that as long as I don't mess with anyone or brake any laws I do have the right to be left completely alone.

I believe the locals on that area should figure a way to make it illegal to get GPO and whatever other creature they feel needs protection, but until that day arrives, any person should be allow to harvest them following whatever is the legal procedure.

Also I believe it is the ultimate bullying act to throw this person's id and ways to get to him and his family all over the web. At this point I think i would be considering getting into legal trouble if a relative of mine was the target of this act.

Yelling at the kid is one thing. The follow up stuff to that is what may boarder on illegal, harrasement, or cross into the civil lawsuit area. Some disagree, not suprising on a dive web site and kin the end it would be up to a court or jury to decide. There are laws in some states about harassing hunters. Not sure if Washington has those or if they even apply to divers but the states that do, it's because of anti hunters conducting them selves in a similar manner

Here you go. Octopus hunter: 'It's no different than fishing' | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

---------- Post Merged at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Probably because he hunts at a popular spot for diving with these creatures, and for his attitude. Telling Bob that it was on eggs and now it's not, plus the pictures, videos and statements he has made regarding hunting in state parks. Putting a firecracker in a snake's mouth, posting videos of a dying cow twitching with it's throat cut, then punching the butchered cow as if he was Rocky Balboa, etc. The kid is a total jerk and deserves to be vilified.

---------- Post Merged at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Some more action from this Mensa candidate.

THIS video can prove a criminal charge and, if I lived in Wash. I would absolutely do it. What a sick, sick young man and SHAME on the family that does nothing to curb this diseased behavior.

Ana: You know, that's just how the Japanese feel about harvesting dolphins and I bet they can't understand why those ignorant westerners won't stop harassing them, calling them names and making documentaries about them. Same with harpooning whales - they don't see what all the drama is about. Should we stop filming and trying to "out" them for fear of violating their privacy or, is that one means of attempting to alter their behavior?

This is not a "privacy" issue. All opinions formed here and photos posted were either gathered in public places where there is NO right to privacy or were photos and videos he HIMSELF posted in public. As long as there was no intimidation used to turn the stores against this punk and the stores freely made their own decision to exclude them from their business, NWGD did absolutely nothing illegal. If, however, people have been threatening violence on this family....THEY have broken the law.

Remember, for slander and libel to be proven, there has to be willful disinformation spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom