• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Marine Life and Ecosystems' started by BCSGratefulDiver, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike

Mike Great White

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    So your belief is that Bob is lying ?

This is the crux of my disappointment in the kid. If he harvested an octopus not on eggs, then I see nothing wrong with what he did, it might not be great that he did it, but as stated it was legal and so be it, but everything I've comment on is based on the initial post on this thread that says the octopus was guarding eggs.

That's a totally different situation to me and is just not excusable.

By-the-way -- since he harvested this octopus for food, where was his cooler? He typically just throws his catch in the bed of his pick up truck?

2. BCSGratefulDiver

BCSGratefulDiver Mental toss flycoon ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    People tend to believe what they choose to believe. Before you believe what was printed, do a little investigating. Listen to the interview with that game warden ... it's in video on some of the links in this thread. Listen closely and tell me where she mentions the gender of this animal. You won't ... because she didn't.

What you're choosing to believe is a claim made by Dylan to a newspaper reporter three days later ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mike likes this.
  3. danvolker

danvolker Dive Shop

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    ....Like we have never heard of the News saying a diver died because their oxygen tank became empty, or that he was diving in shark infested waters...and so on....

Mike likes this.
  4. chrpai

chrpai Great White

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I choose to believe a game warden over a self appointed playground bully / scuba police.

ams511 likes this.
  5. SeahorseDeb

SeahorseDeb DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Bob, It is truly a shame this had to happen, however I am glad you were there to confront him and turn this sad story into a forum of public awareness that is "viral" now. It has heightened awareness about our precious GPO's and other critters by way of the story and also the petition. I live in Eastern WA, however I dive the Cove alot! I posted the story and the petition on our Inland Northwest Divers FB page to continue the awareness because many of our members dive all over, not just fresh water. Kudos to you my friend and sleep well. Like my dad would have said "Ya done good kiddo!"

Inland Northwest Divers | Facebook

6. BCSGratefulDiver

... she never said it.

You're choosing to believe a claim made by Dylan ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

7. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    If the warden never mentioned the sex of the octopus then where did "chrpai" got the idea from? Seattletimes? And where did Seattletimes got the info from?

8. BCSGratefulDiver

... an interview with Dylan.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

9. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

You don't seem to understand that many marine species are harvested when pregnant. I've cut out egg sacs of thousands of fish. Sea Urchins are harvested specifically for their roe. Mullet in Florida are harvested, when full of roe.. I am sure there are many other examples where the regulators know the reproductive cycles of the particular species and their management plan does NOT preclude harvest when carrying eggs.

diverdoug1, Hank49 and ams511 like this.
  10. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    What did the warden say about the sex of that octopus?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.