How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the dive shops still going to give the kid a hassle?

I know that the one he usually uses has offered him the rescue training he wanted, and it stands to reason they've accepted him back. I can't speak for all the dive shops ... owners make their own decisions for their own reasons. But as long as he's not doing something they perceive as a threat to their business, I imagine they won't hassle him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know that the one he usually uses has offered him the rescue training he wanted, and it stands to reason they've accepted him back. I can't speak for all the dive shops ... owners make their own decisions for their own reasons. But as long as he's not doing something they perceive as a threat to their business, I imagine they won't hassle him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Isn't that wonderful that these shops will once again allow him the opportunity to spend his money there. Me? I'd be shopping online, and be more than willing to travel to get fills. A company should think long and hard before firing a customer, as they should never expect to see his business again.

Well; "the Kid" was put upon by the local dive stores and the media due to a few divers vigilante actions.

The young man sounds as if he has courage and is facing this group pile on with some dignity.

Hope it all works out.

Isn't that wonderful that these shops will once again allow him the opportunity to spend his money there. Me? I'd be shopping online, and be more than willing to travel to get fills. A company should think long and hard before firing a customer, as they should never expect to see his business again.

That's his choice, of course ... as it was theirs. I was simply answering a question that someone has asked ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I read this thread when it was only a couple of pages long, and then today I was shocked to find it was fifty two... I read it all through, even the distasteful bits, and I am very glad to see that whole thing was resolved amicably and that positive changes will be the end result.

I've never dived in US waters as all of my ocean dives have been in BC but I was previously planning a trip to Washington or Oregon and now I think my choice has been made. People don't always realise that others are willing to travel long distances and contribute to the local economies along the way via fuel, food, lodging, etc. just to get the chance to see something like the GPO (wolf eels are another of my favourite) so protecting them in designated areas is a win for everyone.

You folks on the coast don't realise how lucky you are. For us on the prairies diving in anything other than a murky lake involves long distance travel and once we arrive we may not actually get to see species x even with several days of hard diving before heading back home. What you have in your backyards is precious and should not be taken for granted.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Meh. Listen Bob, it seems to me like you should be able to be just as proactive in getting him in thier GOOD graces, as you were in getting him in thier BAD graces!

I read about this whole thing here on scubaboard and then again in the last issue of Undercurrents.

Meh. Listen Bob, it seems to me like you should be able to be just as proactive in getting him in thier GOOD graces, as you were in getting him in thier BAD graces!

He got himself in their bad graces ... he can be proactive if he chooses. So far, it appears to me that he does.

Awful lot of assuming in this thread ... seems to me a lot of you don't really believe in responsibility at all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This story has more legs than the octopus did ... and in classic FOX form, they've changed the facts a bit.

- I've never told the London Daily Mail anything ... what they quoted there came from an interview with Seattle Times journalist Lynda Mapes
- I am not a "local Seattle blogger" ... about 90% of my internet postings are right here on ScubaBoard.
- Meyer did not "bang it with a pole" ... nor is there any evidence he used one to get it from its hiding place
- Meyer didn't do an "about face" ... he was honest that he still wants to hunt octopus. He simply agrees that they should not be hunted at popular dive sites, and supports changing the law to protect them in those areas. I view that more as a learning experience (which I welcome in anyone, especially a young person and new diver) than an "about face".

I don't understand why ... nearly four weeks after the event ... this story is still in the news. Surely there are more important things going on in the world. Those of us involved in the incident have resolved our differences and moved on in constructive ways to reach an accommodation that everyone can live with ... what more needs to be said?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom