Votes: 27 33.3%
  • HP120

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • OTHER

Votes: 31 38.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BWDscott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
South Lake County, Florida USA (SW of Orlando)
# of dives
500 - 999
:eyebrow: Please FORGIVE ME...

I have asked this question before... but, it was buried in another thread.

It is important enough to me, that I need more response on it.:D

Basically, I am trying to decide between HP100's and HP120's. The answer to this question is important, because I do not NEED the extra gas... it would just be NICE to have.

All other factors considered, it boils down to...

Can the HP120's be filled ANYWHERE?

Tell me if you have heard of a problem filling the taller tanks. I spoke with someone about the hp120's. He said some of the shops, which use the containment systems for fills, can't accomodate the taller tanks, because the door of the system won't close.:confused:

Personally, I usually get fills at shops that use the old fill whip off of a cascade system.

Does this sound like a legitimate problem? I expect to use these tanks for a very, very, long time.

If shops are switching to the containment systems, wouldn't it make sense for them not to exclude so many tanks already in use?:shakehead::shakehead:

Has anyone heard of problems getting fills, because the tanks are too tall??

Any other pros or cons on these size tanks??

Thanks, Scott

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I've never heard of this but every shop I use has a whip. And chains.:D:

I believe I've seen the containment system. In catalogs. And there is one VFD around here that has one for their SCBA units. I've been in lots of shops and never saw one that used a system that could not fill all tanks. Even with the containment system does that not use a whip as well? Seems any shop that would have a system that could not fill all tanks is being very shortsighted.

Even with the containment system does that not use a whip as well? Seems any shop that would have a system that could not fill all tanks is being very shortsighted.
The contaiment system will not pump air until the door is closed and the fill whip is too short to route it outside the container.

The containment systems that I'm aware of were in use specifically for aluminum singles. Are there containment systems for doubles?

Every shop has their own thoughts/issues when filling tanks. If I had a 120, I would expect I needed to pay more for the fill. I would not expect to hear anything that it was too large. They fill their cascade systems which is much bigger than a 120. All the dive shops I have visited over the past 15 years use whips. None had containment systems, expect the unit I personally use. But the containment area is large enough for a 120. One shop would not fill past 3000 lbs. This would have been a problem if I used HP tanks. That year I used a aluminum 100 which was full at 3300. He stopped at 3000. Better a light fill than no fill. Anyone I talked to that had 120's sold them or do not use them due to the weight. I'm sure you considered this.

Contact the shops in your area. Find out if they have an issue. You may be chasing something that does not matter. The price to fill a 120 may be twice they charge for an 80.

The containment systems that I'm aware of were in use specifically for aluminum singles. Are there containment systems for doubles?
All the containment systems I have seen were top loading. If they made them for doubles all dive shop employees would have to look like Governor Arnie:D

120s are really tall. Almost crazy tall. Now if you're like 6'3" or taller maybe they're great, but I don't see many of them in the Midwest. The most popular amongst the wreck divers that I'm around are double 130s, double LP104, double LP95s and double LP85s. I have double 100s. As for single tanks, IMO the HP100 is about the ideal tank in terms of height, weight and buoyancy. You'd have to be pretty darm tall for the 120 to work. If not a 100 than a 119 would be a much better choice.

I'm a fan of the HP100 and my lovely bride uses a HP80. Works out great based on our mutual SAC rates.

All the containment systems I have seen were top loading. If they made them for doubles all dive shop employees would have to look like Governor Arnie:D

I know of one containment system and it won't accept doubles..even if you load them. The really stupid thing is that they don't have a whip either so you can't get a doubles fill.

As to the OP's question. I don't know why you couldn't get HP120's filled in a system. You may not get a full fill but you should be able to get them filled. Just one of the things about HP's and some dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom