• Yes

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I consider it optional

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Since day one of my RB training as a student, as a diver and a RB instructor I have always used a HUD and felt like it was an integral part of a CCR. Now days not everyone feels like a HUD is essential and is an optional accessory on a CCR.

How many here feel like a HUD is an essential/mandatory piece of gear?

I put optional, but I would recommend them ..... if finances and activities would be better off (ie photography/videography, 'physical' work underwater, etc), where stopping to look at a handset would be disruptive to the activities being conducted.

I've dove a few different CCR with HUDs, all on the right eye.... I can't see any of them in my right eye underwater...

If I ever upgrade and put in a HUD, it will be in my left eye, so I can actually see it.

_R

Interesting question, but given today's technology, many will immediately ask themselves, "Does he mean, 'Is a HUD more important than a NERD? Or does he mean, Would I dive with just a wrist-mounted output of my PO2 and no secondary alert?' "

I think you'll get two different sets of answers depending upon how folks interpret your question.

Since I consider a NERD as just another type of HUD, yeah it's mandatory. We're only human. A self- regulated industry will stay independent only as long as its practitioners stay alive. Why did the early auto industry stop having certain safety components as optional? They were forced to.

I put it as optional, though I personally would never dive without one. So my real answer is it should be, but I don't think it realistically ever will be. I think on a e-ccr it's a litlte less critical since you have the parachute to save you from some issues, but on an mccr I think it's mandatory. EIther way I wish it was mandatory. Even on an e-ccr I would have one.
I believe the recent death at Ginnie is a clear example as to why a hud should be mandatory. It's probably going to be very controversial, but I think KISS should start making them a stock item on their rebreathers or a couple more deaths on the sidewinder will lead to a big lawsuit.

I believe the recent death at Ginnie is a clear example as to why a hud should be mandatory. It's probably going to be very controversial, but I think KISS should start making them a stock item on their rebreathers or a couple more deaths on the sidewinder will lead to a big lawsuit.

Instructors adding a flow stop to the sidewinder O2 feed is a huge problem, then combined with no HUD is a recipe for disaster.

Instructors adding a flow stop to the sidewinder O2 feed is a huge problem, then combined with no HUD is a recipe for disaster.

fully agree. I think unfortunately the o2 shutoff is approved by kiss. Both bad ideas.

I consider a NERD to be a HUD with additional features.

I put down the HUD as optional but I never dive without my NERD.

I bought a popular rebreather on the market a couple of years ago after talking extensively to the creator of that rebreather. I was told that there simply wasn’t a good way to have a handset and a hud because of room on the head. And you really didn’t need a HUD because the CMF was bullet proof. I followed the creator’s advice and went with just the handset, always being diligent to look at it often and never letting the PPO2 drop.

Then I was in Ginnie, way past rock on rock, in a really similar spot to where the last person died in Ginnie. I was in some gnarly tight crap, with vis gone, covered in mud, and when I got out of it, I finally remembered to look at my handset. I was shocked to see a .38PPO2. I sold that rebreather and bought an identical one with a NERD the next day.

I’ll never dive without a display at eye level ever again. I got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom