hudson river diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dieseldog:
any divers out there who know of an online tide and current chart for the Hudson river ? I have been looking for an on line eldrige but no such luck so far.
also any divers interested in diving the hudson river in the Yonkers area?
thanks

http://www.hudsonriver.com/tides.htm

The Hudson River, almost as far north as Poughkeepsie I think, isn't even really a river in a way. It's a tidal estuary. And it has both current and tides. I used to own a boat and kept it on the Hudson. And I've kayaked from Poukeepsie down to Tarrytown. In the Kayak, paddling against a full current is exahusting and potentially futile. And you can even feel a difference in a speedboat. The water is cleaner than it was, but diving would still be hazardous. There's all kinds of potential sharp things down there, likely low visibility when the water's getting mixed up at the times you'd want to go, and floating hazards as well, especially after heavy rainfall.

Current can get up to several knots. Way faster than you can swim. You could try to time things perfectly at slack/ebb, but... the only way I'd even think about it would be with a flag and a support boat right with you. (Actually, I wouldn't do it at all and I've dived off of Far Rockaway, Queens in one foot or less vis.)

If you do it, post how it went. Not for me or anyone to tell you what to do. It's your risk and responsibility. I'd just suggest you manage it well or consider opting out.

Scott

I can't help but wonder, what would posess you to do this for fun? Like Scott said, there is a good 4 knot current that can knock just about anything into you; stray debris, fallen trees, sharp objects like tackle or knives.. If anything happens, good luck getting help in zero visibility. Aside from that, if you choose to dive an inlet that isn't so much affected by tide, then those things wouldn't be as much of a risk. Regardless, you can't see SH**!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom