Huish buys AUP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huish Q&A:
Q: Will all the current Oceanic/Hollis products still be available?

A: Yes. However, Huish Outdoors will not be taking new orders for rebreathers at this time. If you have any questions about NEW orders for rebreathers, please send your inquiry to info@hollisrebreathers.com.

Oceanic and Hollis Acquisition Q & A - Huish Outdoors

I'm wondering what will be happening to the rebreather line.. I've heard that AUP will be keeping the rebreathers but haven't seen anything official

So Mares buys rEvo and Huish buys Hollis.

This while Poseidon is finishing up the solid state O2 sensors for their CCR.

I think that, internet critics aside, three major players are now well poised for the recreational rebreather market. Maybe they know something the armchair warriors don't?

The interesting thing is that the announcement was not Huish buys AUP but Huish buys Oceanic and Hollis- so does that leave anything at AUP? If they had bought everything the announcement should have been Huish buys AUP and all associated businesses underneath the AUP umbrella. It the Q & A section the rebreather were singled out so are they still AUP? Does AUP exist in any fashion now?

I got note from Nick saying that rebreathers haven't been worked out yet, expect an announcement soon. Whatever that means.

Rebreathers aren't going away, we just have to wait and see what brand they are marketed under. If I can be so bold, and based on a lot of observation, if you buy an explorer, buy it used because you're gonna sell it in a year for a cc Prism 2

Rebreathers aren't going away, we just have to wait and see what brand they are marketed under. If I can be so bold, and based on a lot of observation, if you buy an explorer, buy it used because you're gonna sell it in a year for a cc Prism 2

Rebreathers aren't going away- that is for sure.

What is going away is "recreational" SCUBA diving.

Real new student divers have been in decline for more than a decade.

People who wanted to learn to dive for an upcoming vacation, etc. have been
thoroughly put off by the "Tec diver" CCR pitch.

They just walk away.

Fewer new students results in fewer future students.

I have been diving for 45 years. I still love to dive. Open ocean, nice 3 day boat trip
off the Channel Islands, a weekend off the Northern California coast, a couple of days
in the Florida Keys, all good stuff.

I do not want a seven foot hose, a CCR, etc.

With a serious decline in new divers, over 50%, seems like we are heading in the wrong
direction.

The interesting thing is that the announcement was not Huish buys AUP but Huish buys Oceanic and Hollis- so does that leave anything at AUP? If they had bought everything the announcement should have been Huish buys AUP and all associated businesses underneath the AUP umbrella. It the Q & A section the rebreather were singled out so are they still AUP? Does AUP exist in any fashion now?
LavaCore and OceanPro? Huish already owns Sharkskin

IMHO the last true innovation in rebreathers was Walter Starck's Electrolung in 1968. They were all pure O2 or pretty lame simi-closed before that. Computers, software, and manufacturing techniques are all borrowed innovations from other industries with the exception of decompression algorithms. Even they owe their roots to discoveries and R&D largely sponsored by governments starting with Haldane.

Maybe it is just semantics but I characterize advancements in diving as adaptations and refinements rather than innovation.
I think it in indeed just semantics. I would say that atomic innovated with their first stage that closes its-self off to prevent water intrusion during a soak; also with their swivel hose. Ratio has a very innovative dive computer that runs a real processor and can easily have new applications and sensors added onto it (for example, it can do gas analysis right in the DC). Before ratio, shearwater innovated with a flexible computer that had a very readable display. You could characterize those things as refinements and not be terribly inaccurate as well. That's the trouble with English.

If you wanted to take that line of thinking to extremes, even the rebreather was merely a refinement to open circuit apparatus. In the end, it's all just a bag with some weights to go over your head - or some improvement thereon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom