Humane Shark Tagging Methods & Ocearch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCNaiad

Dive babble all day long
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an opportunity to write about Ocearch as a part of another article I'm crafting. At first, I was very excited. Who hasn't seen Mary Lee the Great White on some form of social media?

However, while beginning my research I found some troubling articles online as well as posts on Scubaboard noting that the tagging methods Ocearch uses are problematic. But the posts & many of the articles are old--from 4 or 5 years ago & maybe things have changed. Also, it seems as if how they catch the Great Whites & then the fact that they lift them onto their boat while tagging could be issues.

I am not that familiar with shark tagging methods & there's a great deal of conflicting info online. I also don't know whether the method that Ocearch uses now is a problem. (If it is, I won't be including Ocearch or shark tagging at all in my article.)

Do any of you have RECENT info re: Ocearch and/or humane shark tagging methods?

Last edited:
Can you provide some links to articles that discuss why some shark tagging methods may be problematic? I'd be interested in seeing them.

I don't have any new info or articles for you, but I do have an opinion based on observation. All new, different, or as yet unknown methods to do anything always receives criticism. Cesar Malian the dog whisperer received tons of criticism for his methods. The same for Chris Fischer and his project.

So my opinion based on observation is this, Ocearch has been doing this for a number of years. I don't recall ever hearing or reading of any tagged sharks that have disappeared without ever being tracked for some time. The point being there is no evidence after all this time of Ocearch methods hurting sharks. Sharks have been here for a long time and have faced a lot worse than a fishing line and a big hook and still survive. They'll be here long after we're gone, IMO.
So based I what I've seen Ocearch is helping a lot more sharks than some of their naysayers are helping.

I don't have any new info or articles for you, but I do have an opinion based on observation. All new, different, or as yet unknown methods to do anything always receives criticism. Cesar Malian the dog whisperer received tons of criticism for his methods. The same for Chris Fischer and his project.

So my opinion based on observation is this, Ocearch has been doing this for a number of years. I don't recall ever hearing or reading of any tagged sharks that have disappeared without ever being tracked for some time. The point being there is no evidence after all this time of Ocearch methods hurting sharks. Sharks have been here for a long time and have faced a lot worse than a fishing line and a big hook and still survive. They'll be here long after we're gone, IMO.
So based I what I've seen Ocearch is helping a lot more sharks than some of their naysayers are helping.

I appreciate the feedback. I decided not to include them in my article. While there may be problems with the methods used, I agree with you that this would not necessarily be enough to dissuade me as more research is needed.

However, Ocearch does not appear to have long term partnerships with any scientists or true marine-based scientific organizations. Instead, they are only partnered with companies that focus on:
  • sunglasses
  • ice chests
  • tractors
  • hospitality
  • audience development platforms
  • sport fishing boats
  • outboard motors
  • aluminum boat
  • IT consultanting
  • marine electronics
With two exceptions:
  • An environmental aviation organization (which while conservation focused, is not marine based)
  • The Billfish Foundation (which promotes conservation & yet, also promotes a competition to sports anglers to tag & release the most billfish)
So while Ocearch does bring much needed positive media attention to Great Whites, I didn't feel comfortable promoting a group which says they are scientific...when in actuality, they seem to be more sports fishing/media based.

I appreciate the feedback. I decided not to include them in my article. While there may be problems with the methods used, I agree with you that this would not necessarily be enough to dissuade me as more research is needed.

However, Ocearch does not appear to have long term partnerships with any scientists or true marine-based scientific organizations. Instead, they are only partnered with companies that focus on:
  • sunglasses
  • ice chests
  • tractors
  • hospitality
  • audience development platforms
  • sport fishing boats
  • outboard motors
  • aluminum boat
  • IT consultanting
  • marine electronics
With two exceptions:
  • An environmental aviation organization (which while conservation focused, is not marine based)
  • The Billfish Foundation (which promotes conservation & yet, also promotes a competition to sports anglers to tag & release the most billfish)
So while Ocearch does bring much needed positive media attention to Great Whites, I didn't feel comfortable promoting a group which says they are scientific...when in actuality, they seem to be more sports fishing/media based.

As you probably know sport fishing is at the root of Fischer's experience. The Fischer's had a TV program based on sport fishing, both line and spear fishing. Most of those companies listed are, I'd guess former sponsors of that program and I suppose are well known to Fischer, money has to come from some place and most companies are more than happy to sponsor something they think will bring them positive PR. Like Dillinger robbed banks because that's where the money is, Fischer I'd guess goes where he knows he can get money to fund the project., while maintaining independence from the restrictions of government grants. That ship is no small expense!

I don't know the Fischers and have no affiliations with anything even remotely connected to Ocearch even though my writing may read that way! I just see someone with a lifetime of fishing/diving experience and proclaimed love of the sea taking that experience and passion and trying to do something positive while making a living. That's something most people including myself would love to have the resources to accomplish!

No good deed goes unpunished.

As you probably know sport fishing is at the root of Fischer's experience. The Fischer's had a TV program based on sport fishing, both line and spear fishing. Most of those companies listed are, I'd guess former sponsors of that program and I suppose are well known to Fischer, money has to come from some place and most companies are more than happy to sponsor something they think will bring them positive PR. Like Dillinger robbed banks because that's where the money is, Fischer I'd guess goes where he knows he can get money to fund the project., while maintaining independence from the restrictions of government grants. That ship is no small expense!

I don't know the Fischers and have no affiliations with anything even remotely connected to Ocearch even though my writing may read that way! I just see someone with a lifetime of fishing/diving experience and proclaimed love of the sea taking that experience and passion and trying to do something positive while making a living. That's something most people including myself would love to have the resources to accomplish!

No good deed goes unpunished.

Totally hear you on all of this & they really have done a lot of good with getting the public excited about sharks.

However, Ocearch has been accused of a number of things. If they were smart, they would could easily handle these issues by partnering with at least one scientific organization or scientist. The fact that they haven't leads me to believe that maybe they tried & were unsuccessful. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. But without knowing more, I don't want to promote something that could be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom