Humboldt Squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine has been diving with and filming the large Humboldt Squids (150 lbs +) in the Sea of Cortez.
Using a PRISM CCR that doesn't spook the animals he's gotten some amazing footage.
When filming they're attached to the boat by steel ropes so the squids can't drag them down,
and wear body armor to protect against the 1000s of little teeth on their suckers.

Some of his footage ended up in the "Killer Squid" documentary that has been airing lately.
Amazing animals, but you don't wanna wrestle them.

Next air time is October 8 at 4pm eastern, either on Discovery or their Travel channel.

As a slight nitpick, an acrylic column housing divers would have worked better at protecting divers, and been cheaper to boot. These have been used with saltwater crocodiles. Divers do not need to subject themselves to being manhandled by the squid. This same argument was given twenty years ago when wildlife photographers developed chain mail for shark diving. Scientists would much prefer a cage.

Great photos though. I hope I remember to watch the show this week. Squid are far scarier than sharks.

That's wonderful caveseeker7, I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary on it.
I don't remember him using a rebreather on the dives just O/C scuba or maybe my memory is foggy on this?

I'll be sure to watch it again though.

The documentary is a bid odd as there are two separate dive teams which have only spend very little time together.

Mike and Jaquie are featured in much of it and are using open circuit equipment.
Mind you, they have moved on to Inspiration CCRs (they're form Europe) which they use in Amazon Abyss.

Scott spend an enormous time, much of it on his own and by himself, diving with the Giant Humboldt Squids.
Over 200 dives over many weeks and weekends. Filming a lot of it, and having friends film him and the squids.
The PRISM rebreathers are usually easy to recognize by the brass weight rings on their mouthpiece. :wink:

Archman, maybe an acryllic tube would have worked better or been safer ... what size are those things?
Unless it fits in the back of the little Scion shoebox after it's loaded with two divers and their dive and camera gear it's too big. Besides, the idea was to interact. The attack in show, while hair-raising, was only part of that. Squids came back, 'felt him up' very peacefully and inquisitive ... an experience worth more than any tape.

Scott's been working on a new and very worthy project for a few months now, and I'll keep you posted of news on that.

caveseeker7:
The documentary is a bid odd as there are two separate dive teams which have only spend very little time together.

Mike and Jaquie are featured in much of it and are using open circuit equipment.
Mind you, they have moved on to Inspiration CCRs (they're form Europe) which they use in Amazon Abyss.

Scott spend an enormous time, much of it on his own and by himself, diving with the Giant Humboldt Squids.
Over 200 dives over many weeks and weekends. Filming a lot of it, and having friends film him and the squids.
The PRISM rebreathers are usually easy to recognize by the brass weight rings on their mouthpiece. :wink:

Archman, maybe an acryllic tube would have worked better or been safer ... what size are those things?
Unless it fits in the back of the little Scion shoebox after it's loaded with two divers and their dive and camera gear it's too big. Besides, the idea was to interact. The attack in show, while hair-raising, was only part of that. Squids came back, 'felt him up' very peacefully and inquisitive ... an experience worth more than any tape.

Scott's been working on a new and very worthy project for a few months now, and I'll keep you posted of news on that.
i saw the show and i have to say i thought it was great, he and the rest did a great job

jim ernst:
i saw the show and i have to say i thought it was great, he and the rest did a great job

Your hot on it caveseeker7....

Our team is heading down again to film some more behavior that Scott has been documenting.

ALSO!!!!

After his years of diving with the Squid he is now offering guided dive expeditions with him as the guide!

If you have ever wanted to do this dive this is the opportunity!!

here is the link, http://www.gonetobaja.com I also posted a thread in the mexico section.

I love my prism :10:

GTB

gonetobaja:
I love my prism :10:
Hi Dale. :D

Heard a lot about you, hope we'll meet some time soon.
I'll be heading to Vegas tomorrow and will hook up with Scott on Thursday.
The trips are cool, wish you guys good luck with that. :05:

Cheers
Stefan

Caveseeker!!!

Check out these images I got off of the video we are working on. This is Scott in his PRISM CCR with the Humboldts.

The photos of the squid comming after the camera are just that, we were grabbed several time on each dive.

The big ones are not afraid.

Back
Top Bottom