Hurricane Zeta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Experienced my first hurricane last night as Zeta hit the island with wind and rain around 5:30 yesterday. Winds increased throughout the evening with power flickering on and off at Casa Mexicana. From my hotel balcony I saw electrical transformers exploding in the night sky as the storms full power took effect. It was quite a light show ! Around 8 PM, the hotel generator kicked-in and stayed on all night, as the roaring winds increased. Amazingly, the hotel WiFi is still on this morning. Will update as the sun rises and damage can be assessed. Obviously the port will remain closed until further notice from the harbor master. Aldora has hopes of afternoon dives later today. We shall see...

Experienced my first hurricane last night as Zeta hit the island with wind and rain around 5:30 yesterday. Winds increased throughout the evening with power flickering on and off at Casa Mexicana. From my hotel balcony I saw electrical transformers exploding in the night sky as the storms full power took effect. It was quite a light show ! Around 8 PM, the hotel generator kicked-in and stayed on all night, as the roaring winds increased. Amazingly, the hotel WiFi is still on this morning. Will update as the sun rises and damage can be assessed. Obviously the port will remain closed until further notice from the harbor master. Aldora has hopes of afternoon dives later today. We shall see...

Thanks for the update. Glad you are safe

Can we get a do over on 2020?

Thanks for info from the island for those of us at home watching and waiting for news on how thankfully the island was spared once again!

Wind was mostly from the NE to SE - way worse winds than the last storm but much less rain. I hate to think what the East side looks like.

We were evacuated to Playacar Palace Sunday afternoon. Any information on when ferry services resume would be appreciated

Here are some photos from Mateo. He tells me the Rasta Bar roof is heavily damaged but the photo looks repairable plus some other shot's from town. Otates (whatever the new name is) lost its roof.
IMG-20201027-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20201027-WA0015.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20201027-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20201027-WA0014.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-20201027-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20201027-WA0011.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 87

Back
Top Bottom