Hybrid BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m3830431

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know the BP/winds answer, but I am looking for a good hybrid BCD. I went through most of the major man. and have it narrowed down. Cost is somewhat of a factor. Any positive comments to the following:

Sherwood Tortuga, Freedom
Cressi sub S111, S114
Genisis Recon, Tropic
Aeris Atmos XT
SeaQuest Fusion, Balance

This is base on local accessability I know Zeagle is in there but not around here.

No experience with the names you mentioned but I was using a SeaQuest Pro QD for a long while and it is an excellent hybrid BC.

Out of curiosity, what led you to wanting a hybrid bc?

:06: I don't like the squeeze of the traditional jacket and don't believe I need the BP/W set up. I like the option of not having to swim on you back if you are a long distance from the pick up and it is easier to keep your face lower in the water.

While not the ocean Lake Michigan does have a few larger breakers.

Oh I may have misunderstood.. by hybrid, do you mean "back inflate" or "combination back inflate and jacket"?

Combination it what I am talking about

m3830431:
:06: I don't like the squeeze of the traditional jacket and don't believe I need the BP/W set up. I like the option of not having to swim on you back if you are a long distance from the pick up and it is easier to keep your face lower in the water.

While not the ocean Lake Michigan does have a few larger breakers.

I am familiar with some of the BC's you referenced, and the Aeris seems best. I also heard good things about the SeaQuest Pro QD.

Is there a reason accessability is an issue with your BC. If your LDS doesn't carry the brand you want they should sill be able to inspect and service it.

Also, while some back inflate BC can push you forward on the surface, if you distribute your weights propperly this problem can be greatly reduced or eliminated. I have a Zeagle Ranger with the trim pockets on the tank straps and 4lbs (2lbs each) in the trim pockets has me floating upright at the surface with no effort what so ever.

While not a major problem my understanding that some Factory Warranties require service from a Authorized dealer to be valid. While I could send it out it is easier to have is serviced locally. This is not to say I will buy it from the LDS.

I have an Aeris XT and I love it ! (although I've only had the opportunity to use it in a pool, I'll get some more practical ocean experience with it in a week)

No squeeze to speak of, generous weight pockets, and an easy weight dump system. The inflator is a bit powerful, but not too tough to get used to. Trim weight pockets on the back are nice.

Good solid steel D rings, a nice accessory pocket, as well as a little "key" pocket on the cummerbund. 3 dumps (right shoulder, back, and the inflator doubles as a dump if you yank it)

I was a little hesitant to go thoroughly with a back inflate, but saw this and thought I would give it a try. No problem floating on my back at the surface either! In fact, I think it was the easiest I've ever had floating on my back...

Go try one out!

I own way too many bcs, two of which you list, the Seaquest Fusion and Balance. Of all the bcs that me and my two sons own, the Fusion is by far the most comfortable and stable of the all, both U/W and on the surface. The Fusion is very balanced on the surface no matter how you trim your weights. The only complaint I have with the Fusion are 1) it seems to have more inherent positive bouyancy the other bcs I have used and 2) it does not pack well for air travel. I use the Fusion for local diving and the Balance for air travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom