hydraulic grinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
anybody had experience with cutting tools underwater any tips to pass on

Last edited:
I have used air driven tools to cut open steel/ wood. Air tools underwater are much louder underwater than their air counterparts. We use an old scubapro mk5 that we converted with fittings to use air tools on. Depending on depth bring al80 or steel 80-100 and keep the tool running as you descend as if it stops the water seems to flood out the tool. Depending on what you are cutting, it may take multiple dives and hearing damage. I take a set of gun range ear protectors down to depth and then put them on. I have not uses torches or hydraulic cutting devices, but I'm sure they are a heck of a lot better than the air tools.

I use underwater hydraulics. What do you want to know?

If using rock cutting wheels, use only those rated for underwater use. Otherwise the binder won't hold up and the wheel falls apart. Personally, I'd spend the thousands of dollars on carbide steel. Maybe not as a beginner.

I use underwater hydraulics. What do you want to know?

If using rock cutting wheels, use only those rated for underwater use. Otherwise the binder won't hold up and the wheel falls apart. Personally, I'd spend the thousands of dollars on carbide steel. Maybe not as a beginner.
im cutting into metal but trying to work out how many wheels I need to cut through say 15mm plate per metre. Also I'm assuming theres some kickback on the rotation so will need to be negative and tie off to some sort of line to keep me in position. How much noise - will i need earplugs and of course the rotation action will silt everything pretty bad?

That is thick! How long of a cut?
I'm guesstimating the thickness but its side of the hull- cut would be 2.4m (square 800 each side)

Sounds like you need an underwater cutting torch.
yes thats my other option but more complex-

It seems like a lot of work to sink a friends boat. Care to share what you are in the process of recovering?

Have you checked out the NEMO tolls? Max depth is 60m but they seem solid.
Im also in need of doing some cutting but with a reciprocating saw. Trying to get a handle on how long it will last with an 80 at various depths. Curious to know about the concept of keeping it running on decent? Iv used pneumo hammer drills before and not had this problem.
Whats all entailed with setting up a torch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom