Hydro of a tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I emailed Dwight.... I'll let you know what he says!

nauidiver2004:
Sorry buddy, to do a proper hydro they are supposed to remove the vis sticker. Your going to have to pay to get it done again.

Is this written in the DOT rules or something? I've never heard this before that you had to remove the sticker before the hydro test.

I've also seen a LOT of tanks out there with visuals stickers more than 5 years old. Including some of my older tanks I used to have.

mike_s:
Is this written in the DOT rules or something? I've never heard this before that you had to remove the sticker before the hydro test.

Incorporated by reference CGA pampllet C-1, C-6.1
Cylinder shall be clean and all attachments should be removed that would interfere with visual inspection. Inspect for damage.

From Dwight:
hydro is 28

visual inspection and fill is 14

o2 clean is 50

If the fire extinguisher shop does the Hydro and the Vis all you should need is a new VIP sticker. You can buy these on-line at scubathings.com.

one of theses years im going to get psi tank inspection cert so i dont have to dick around as much with the lds guys
dd occasionally offers the course

when i do ill let you know, ill vip tanks for you
im not cheap but i can be had!

dave

Sounds OK at first but in reality the course is expensive. A few hundred bucks, add to that another hundred or so for some tools and what really do you get? A piece of paper that indicates you took a class. To really develop the skill of a proper cylinder visual inspection you have to do a lot of them. Not just the same cylinder over and over, but many cylinders, in all different states. Some new, some gently used, some questionable, and others just downright bad.

I wonder though, if you spend the $$, and take the class at DD, will they accept your visual inspection and give you a fill? Now the big question, if you take the same PSI class that they offer, FROM SOMEONE ELSE, will DD still accept your visual inspection? I think I see a trip to the shop in my future.

Ken

I just got my tank back. I took it to Monroe Extinguisher on Dodge Street in Rochester. $11.55 plus tax. cheap. They even left the VIP stickers on the tank!

Why pay twice that to a LDS when all they do, is send them to a fire extingusiher shop. By the way, what was Monroe's turn around time, I have a few that need it hydro

Back
Top Bottom