Hydro-static Testing: Which Cylinders Qualify for Ultrasonic UE vs. Water Jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sigxbill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a fairly large number of cylinders that need retesting for hydro certification. I want to know if there is any place I can refer to to easily determine which cylinders qualify for ultrasonic testing, and which ones require water jacket testing?

I have some PST HP 80s and 100s which as far as I can tell require water jacket because they are E9791.

I also have some PST LP95s and Faber 46s, that are 3AA, which I think might qualify for UE testing. I also have various others that I would like to know if they qualify for UE.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use UE if an available option?

Thanks in advance

Don't know why no one answered. So far as I know all hydro tests are done with hydraulic pressure (water) inside the cylinder and water outside the cylinder to measure any permenant deformation of the cylinder. Is the ultrasonic test the one that is done on the old alloy Luxfer cylinders, the enhanced visual?

ultrasonic is an alternative to hydrostatic, it is much more common for industrial purposes where hydrostatic is not practical. sigxbill, are you using cody cylinders in riverside? only one on the phmtsa list for socal as ultrasonic (that might test cylinders retail, doubt airgas or praxair would test private tanks). I can't really think of a reason not to go with ultrasonic, but I am not sure it can be used for exemption tanks. I know it works just fine for 3AA gas cylinders.

I think you will find the process more expensive than the regular hydro test. Looks to be primarily used for specialty gas cylinders to reduce the chance of contamination. Facilities that do it are probably few and far between.

Hydrostatic and Ultrasonic Cylinder Tests

Back
Top Bottom