Hydroid sting or shingles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emme

New
Reaction score
Hello there,

Strange one, I was scuba diving underneath a pier recently and accidentally my ankle rubbed up against the structure when I was diving (only bit of skin on show, apart from my hands). I felt a sting but not painful enough for me to stop. I looked at what I thought had stung me and it appeared to be a hydroid with fan like leaves. I told the Divemaster once I re-surfaced and she told me to let her know if it got any worse. It was just a small red rash. So I left it and now almost 13 days later it has got worse, weirdly gets itchy at night but not all the time. I decided to see the doctor to see if she could provide me with some steriod cream to sort the issue. She looked at it and then thought I might have shingles? Now I'm confused, I'm certain I touched something but she said it could have just been the initial pain from the shingles. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 468
It is almost certainly a reaction to something you touched.

While both shingles and contact dermatitis can cause vesicles on an erythematous base (blisters on a red base rash), shingles is more painful then itchy and that would be a really odd site and presentation for shingles. Add to that your remembered injury and the diagnosis is fairly certain.

Treat it as you would a poison oak rash. If the itch is mild, use a topical over the counter steroid cream. If more moderate request a steroid prescription from your provider if they did not give you one during your visit. You can also take a nighttime dose of diphenhydramine for the itch. For daytime itch use an OTC nonsedating antihistamine.

Last edited:
what he said. and do your best not to scratch it as any damage will prolong the healing. I learned the hard way on my 1st lobster trip to the keys going through the grass flats - hands/arms, neck, ears, and tops of legs. Another reason I don't dive without full exposure protection any time (even if it's just a 1mm skin). Don't scratch

Hi Emme, secondary reactions like that are not uncommon. Did the animal break the skin at all?

Best regards,
DDM

This is a classic case of when hoofbeats are zebras that they teach in medical school.

The most probable diagnosis is contact dermatitis from contact with the hydroid. My reaction to a hydroid sting took weeks to resolve. Start using hydrocortisone and be patient. It will resolve with time.

No break to the skin, just a small red rash afterwards that has got a bit itchy. Will take on the advice and get some cream to help that. Thanks

One suggestion - next time you encounter hydroids, use vinegar on the rash. This will help greatly. DAN has information regarding treatment on their website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom