Hydroid Sting (with pics) - what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeaDLocK

Registered
Reaction score
Last Thursday, I was on a night dive and accidentally plunged the side of my right wrist into a bed of hydroids.

The burn was immediate, but not unbearable, and it mostly dissipated quite quickly. One hour after the dive, the area that had been stung was raised. I took a pic:

initial.jpg

I didn't think much of it, and went to bed. A few hours later, I suffered some fever with quite bad chills for a few hours, interrupting my sleep, and had some nausea to go along with it the next day. I immediately cancelled Friday's dives (my scheduled last day of diving). All fever and nausea vanished by Friday night (I am not sure if these symptoms are related to the sting).

It is now Sunday night, and for the last 24 hours, the wound looks like this:

after.jpg

That "marbling" are tiny pinhead-sized blisters all over the affected area.

I have just picked up some Class 2 (potent) hydrocortisone ointment and have applied that once. I plan to do so twice a day until the rash/wound disappears.

I only have some mild soreness from the swelling; other than that, there is no itching or any other discomfort. It is not difficult to live with.

I have been stung by hydroids before a few times, and on all occasions it caused an immediate contact burn but nothing else after the dive. Though I understand there are different species of hydroids (some worse than others) and that I have never before made full-on contact with them as I did last Thursday.

Questions I hope you can help with:

1) Is this typical for a hydroid sting?
2) Is my course of treatment with hydrocortisone appropriate?
3) What kind of timeframe can I expect before healing completes?
4) Is it likely to leave a scar?

Thanks guys!! :)

I'll put in a plug here for Divers Alert Network (DAN). They provide not only basic advice over the phone but also referrals to dive aware physicians in your area.

Imagine going to your local doctor that doesn't know a hydroid from a hemorrhoid --> you could wind up making the situation worse.

In short, call DAN (919) 684-9111 and get some advice, a referral and also become a member.

You'll be glad you did.

I get these all the time. First time I called Dan with a picture. Basically it will take a few weeks to heal. I use a cortisone ointment and a Benadryl cream. Sometimes I use an antibiotic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks exactly like what I got in Cozumel.

I used hydrocortisone cream for the first couple of days and calamine lotion after that for the itch. Its been about two weeks and the rash has faded considerably although its still visible....I expect it will be gone completely in another week. Don't think there's any chance of a scar unless the rash/bumps get infected.

Are you sure that is not fire coral?

If it is, it will re-occur in two weeks.

Looks exactly like what I got in Cozumel.

I used hydrocortisone cream for the first couple of days and calamine lotion after that for the itch. Its been about two weeks and the rash has faded considerably although its still visible....I expect it will be gone completely in another week. Don't think there's any chance of a scar unless the rash/bumps get infected.

Here's my thumb after getting back from CZM a while back-----stung like a booger-bear for about 5 or 6 days, I thought maybe some fire coral I got into???..

Dang-can't post pic directly here------here's a link to my Flickr page though.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/17206399025/in/set-72157641829042214

Are you sure that is not fire coral? If it is, it will re-occur in two weeks.

Not really accurate. It may re-occur; it may not.

Regards,

DocVikingo

---------- Post added April 19th, 2015 at 07:42 PM ----------

Bummer, DeaDLocK.

1) Is this typical for a hydroid sting?

The photos indeed do suggest a hydriod envenomation of some type.

2) Is my course of treatment with hydrocortisone appropriate?

It probably is as good as any. Application of a Benadryl cream may also be used. But, don't expect any miracles--topical treatments, even those that are quite potent, often offer only modest, if any, relief.

3) What kind of timeframe can I expect before healing completes?

Only time will tell. It is possible for the described rash and soreness to recur after they have initially subsided. This is because antigenic material (e.g., tiny fragments of coral or hydroid) can remain in the wound. Also, a cyclic immune response can persist for weeks after an incident, sometimes longer.

In the meantime, keep a close watch for signs of wound infection, e.g., increasing redness, warmth, swelling or pain;
drainage of yellow or greenish fluid (pus). Any red streaking of the skin around the wound is especially worrisome and merits immediate medical attention.

4) Is it likely to leave a scar?

It probably will not leave a frank scar, but a lasting slight discoloration of the affected area may occur.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I will watch out for infection. The area is swollen and so is naturally redder and warmer than it should be, but is not weeping pus or anything, nor do I have red streaking indicating lymphangitis. So I think it is okay at the moment, but will keep an eye on it for worsening.

I'll be much more careful around these things in the future - just thankful my face wasn't hit!

I had the same thing from brushing up against a hydroid in Coz. Wound description is identical. Took a few weeks to completely go away. I don't see a scar. I didn't use steroids but only because I didn't go seek treatment (my patch was smaller than the OP.)

Back
Top Bottom