Hyperbaric Chamber Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, i got it, this should clear it right up...

Imagine you are wearing a KMB Band mask. And suddenly the hose gets sheared off right at the block. What happens? Other than you're screwed and out of air?

Helmet is exactly the same.

No, if you have to equalize your ears, it's not pressurized (by the gas). The hat is not like a 1atm suit. A 1atm suit stays at 1atm no matter what the depth. In the event of a break, you'd be sucked out. But wearing a helmet is just like a scuba regulator, the only difference is your head is staying dry, not because of positive pressure, but because of a tight neckdam.

If you equalize your ears it's because the pressure is increasing or decreasing to match the outside environment, hence, it is pressurized. A 1 atm suit on the other hand would not be pressurized. It's always at 1 atm.

Now if the 1 atm suit were breached at a serious depth, then your lungs and chest would be compressed until the pressure of your chest equaled the new, higher pressure inside the suit.

Ok, i got it, this should clear it right up...

Imagine you are wearing a KMB Band mask. And suddenly the hose gets sheared off right at the block. What happens? Other than you're screwed and out of air?

Helmet is exactly the same.

Yep, I can agree with that. In that case your lungs and the rest of your body are already under the same pressure as the outside environment.

If the hose is cut in the water without a check valve, it will equalize as the water fills the hose and hat.

If it is cut out of the water with no check valve, there will be a differential pressure just like if the diver were in a sealed container at depth, however the opening to the surface will cause everything in the container not tied down to be pulled to the opening, and the pressure will be felt equally throughout the container unless the hole is plugged, at which case the 75 psi X area of opening would apply.

If the hose is cut in the water without a check valve, it will equalize as the water fills the hose and hat.

If it is cut out of the water with no check valve, there will be a differential pressure just like if the diver were in a sealed container at depth, however the opening to the surface will cause everything in the container not tied down to be pulled to the opening, and the pressure will be felt equally throughout the container unless the hole is plugged, at which case the 75 psi X area of opening would apply.

So would the 2nd stage regulator free flow in reverse?
*edit* and it's a test question. I was actually certified on U.S. Divers regulators long ago.

A 1 atm suit on the other hand would not be pressurized.

So... a submarine is not pressurized? How about a jetliner?
I'm talking internal pressure, you're talking external pressure.

I think I know where some of your confusion is...
In the video, the MARK V helmet is filled with water, I said that in my first post, but maybe you missed it.
The pressure inside the helmet is the same outside the helmet,

So would the 2nd stage regulator free flow in reverse?
*edit* and it's a test question. I was actually certified on U.S. Divers regulators long ago.

I honestly don't know, I'm just speaking to the general physics of the situation. I don't know the systems well enough to make a guess.

I think I know where some of your confusion is...
In the video, the MARK V helmet is filled with water, I said that in my first post, but maybe you missed it.
The pressure inside the helmet is the same outside the helmet,

Oh yeah, I took the Mythbusters video as them just trying to blow stuff up as they do.

I honestly don't know, I'm just speaking to the general physics of the situation. I don't know the systems well enough to make a guess.

The valve only moves one direction, it can't let flow go the other direction.

I was under the impression we were speaking in absence of valves. I was speaking strictly on the pressure distribution to the diver not being a function of the size of the opening.

Back
Top Bottom