hyperventilating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had 4 different dives where I have started to hyperventilate. I have realized that it was starting, ascend
ed approx. 10' and I get it under control. My dive instructor or partner have called the dive at that point.I don't blame them even though I feel better after a couple of minutes, not wanting to head back but is better to do so. I can only think that it may be due to going outside of my comfort level, where I would normally dive (usually in the top 60'). Maybe it has to do with too many things going on all at once. New diver, new site, equalizing problems. Maybe someone has some ideas to share. Will describe more in detail if interested. I would like to over come whatever the problem is to ensure safer diving. Thanks Les

We hyperventilate when we allow stress to go unchecked and lose control of our breathing.. so... if you feel stressed, identify why - just identifying the stressor can often relieve it. If you need to change something once the stressor has been identified (like getting a little shallower), do it.
Control your breathing. Take control. Breathe deeply and slowly.
Control.
Control.
Control.
You *can* control your breathing.
Rick

Dont know if this will help any, but 2 years ago when I played football (American), we had a coach that made us run until we puked. I noticed that after about 3 miles, I would start to hyperventalate. So, I went to my docter and he gave me an asthma inhalor with a special medicine to strengthen my throat mucsles. This helped and I have never had a problem since. So, maybe you should go to your docter and you may have a similar problem.

Hiya les,
Diving is a gear intensive,training intensive sport but it is also very mentally challenging.Man just wasn't made to breathe underwater.Still,try to tell that to all of us other bottle carrying air sucking fish wannabes.It is an unnatural environment and sometimes we can psyche ourselves out before we even get into the water.As you said,new site,new diver and might I suggest maybe too great an expectation upon yourself? It takes a while to get used to dry air,dive times,keeping your chops open on ascent,etc...
and there's alot to think about.Your hyperventilation doesn't isolate you from the rest of us.Even an experienced diver can get stress and blow their dive given the right set of circumstances.
My suggestion to you is not only to relax,but give yourself permission to dive to a realistic level.I can't tell you the number of divers that have bragged about the number of dives they've done and tried to find out how many I have so they can see how they rank in importance on the boat and make sure the new divers know exactly where they stand inthe scheme of things.It's all aload of crap!!! It's not a competition!!! It's about you diving for your own pleasure and your own comfort level.If your unsure then say no!
here's the bottom line buddy.Over 90% of all injuries and fatalities occur on the surface after the dive and are generally caused by diver stress,panic and uncertainty where divers forget to inflate their BC or drop their belts.
The greatest piece of equipment you can take diving with you is a relaxed mind.Read a book,have a relaxed conversation and give yourself a break.Don't let anyone pressure you and pick a buddy who will respect your level and help you enjoy your dive.If ever your in N.Z. then I'll dive with you and promise no dives beyond your ability.Best of luck man.Asta la vista from the gasman

gasman, you are worth your weight in gold, and I wish there were more out there like you. So many are so supercilious when it comes to # of dives etc...It takes emotional security to accept that there is always someone out there who knows more than you do, and someone who knows less, and to treat both with courtesy....

gozu

I just have to agree with gasman, diving is supposed to be fun and relaxing. Just go out there and dive for enjoyment. As long as you are happy then that is all that is necessary. If you want to go deeper, then take a course / lessons, then start building up your confidence.

If you are unhappy with something, then don't do it! This is a sport after all, not some kind of competition. I have met plenty of people with a relatively low number of dives that have techniques down perfectly, and also I have met experienced divers that couldn't pass the PADI OW hover skill. What you have done isn't important. What you can do, and are happy doing is probably the most important.

Jon T

thanks everybody who replied.I was starting to think that I was the only one who had this dilemma.Everybody else I have talked to about this just looks at you weird.Does not help me to talk about the problem.Makes it hard to find an understanding buddy to dive with.One who will not swim at the speed of light because thats what the normally do.I want to expand my comfort level but the lurking thoughts of those 85' dives linger and hold me back.I mean, what's another 20' from what I like to dive.Peanuts.But the thought makes me think about safety and I listen.I know that one day I will get to the 100' goal.The water will always be there,so until then I happily dive in my new found home.Keep in touch.

Your fellow aquanaut(nut)

thanks everybody who replied.I was starting to think that I was the only one who had this dilemma.Everybody else I have talked to about this just looks at you weird.Does not help me to talk about the problem.Makes it hard to find an understanding buddy to dive with.I want to expand my comfort level but the lurking thoughts of those 85' dives linger and hold me back.I mean, what's another 20' from what I like to dive.Peanuts.But the thought makes me think about safety and I listen.One of the situations happened on my deep dive in the advanced course.I failed that dive and now have to redo course because time has passed by and cert. instructor is no longer around.I know that one day I will get to the 100' goal.The water will always be there,so until then I happily dive in my new found home where I am comfy.Keep in touch.

Originally written in Les's FIRST post
Makes it hard to find an understanding buddy to dive with.One who will not swim at the speed of light because thats what the normally do.

Hey, what's the point of going at thorpeodo speed? You never get to see anything. Have a good 'Mooch' is what I say!

Jon T

Hey Les

Caught onto this thread after everyone has given advice already - which by the way is very good!

Just another idea for you. A lot of people are unaware that they suffer from colstrophbia (sorry about spelling! You can tell I am going english alevel!?)

I dont suffer when i am diving but many new divers do. They may not be aware that is what they are suffering from, they just feel stressed!

I suffer from colstrophbia when I am on a bus - its a horrid feeling, i start to get hot, and i "hyberventilate"

Just another idea for you.
Hope it gets sorted and you can enjoy diving again!

Back
Top Bottom