I ALMOST took an SDI class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

Although I have been diving solo for quite some time, I finally decided it would be nice to have a solo cert for trips to the Flower Gardens. But when I inquired about the course, I found that AOW cert was a hard and fast prerequisite which overrides any experience considerations.

I would still like to get solo cert but have absolutely no use for AOW at this stage.

Why the mindless requirement for AOW?

Although I have been diving solo for quite some time, I finally decided it would be nice to have a solo cert for trips to the Flower Gardens. But when I inquired about the course, I found that AOW cert was a hard and fast prerequisite which overrides any experience considerations.

I would still like to get solo cert but have absolutely no use for AOW at this stage.

That is not correct. The standard reads minimum of advanced diver or equivalent. There are many ways to distinguish yourself as an advanced diver and an AOW card is not what I consider an advanced diver.
A rescue card, a cavern cert, an advanced nitrox card would more than suffice for this prerequisite.

According to our standards, the student prerequisites are:

Minimum age 21
Minimum certification of advanced diver or equivalent
Minimum of 100 logged dives
Completed Medical Diving Release form
Completed Waiver and Release form

I cannot see anything there about mindlessness.

Your Scuba Diving International instructor -- if he or she is a solo specialty instructor -- should be able to access equivalence based on experience and a short discussion.

Good luck with the course... I think you'll enjoy it and learn something about yourself as well as dive planning in general.

According to our standards, the student prerequisites are:

Minimum age 21
Minimum certification of advanced diver or equivalent
Minimum of 100 logged dives
Completed Medical Diving Release form
Completed Waiver and Release form

Steve,

Are these the pre-reqs to the solo diver course?

I have been looking around on your site and can not seem to find the area that talks about the pre-reqs to the courses that SDI offers. I am interested in taking the Solo Diver course and the Intro to Tech course that TDI offers.

Thanks

Steve,

Are these the pre-reqs to the solo diver course?

I have been looking around on your site and can not seem to find the area that talks about the pre-reqs to the courses that SDI offers. I am interested in taking the Solo Diver course and the Intro to Tech course that TDI offers.

Thanks

Yep... those are the prerequisites for Solo... here's a link to the search feature on our site... just navigate to your region / state and put in that you want to find out about an SDI Solo Program.

International Training :: Diver Services :: Course / Facility Lookup

You can do exactly the same sort of search for Intro to Tech.

If you need any help getting hooked up, contact me directly. I think you'll enjoy both programs... have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom