I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've lost track of my buddy so have no way to ask him. I'm sure the inserts won;t work anyway, they're prepackage for normal correction ranges,

I would contact the mask people directly - Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

As far as the BC where you might run into problems is that a lot of rental BC's are low-end rental models and lack the right shoulder dump so obviously could not be converted even if they were willing to. So you might have to buy/bring one with you.

Inflator buttons are hard to push - you're overcoming the air pressure on the low inflation side of the system to add air. Some inflators have larger buttons than others. When you both get closer to the actual class you might plan a short trip to a dive store where you can try them - usually they'll be willing to throw a tank on their rentals in store and let you use it - maybe even supervised in the pool. You might also try a Discover Dive - it usually takes about a morning, some light class work then you get to dive with their gear. Popular in most vacation destinations.

Near you (sort of) Dive Right in Scuba in Plainfield IL are helpful people. You might call them and explain the situation and see what they recommend. They also have very good prices on gear. Scuba Gear Diving Equipment | Dive Right in Scuba

Some "travel" BC;s are smaller/lighter and especially cheaper, but won't have the lift to be used locally - they're warm water gear. Some of them also won't have the right shoulder dump as an economy measure though.

My wife got me a prescription mask a few years ago for Father's Day because I love snorkeling and do it whenever I have a chance. My prescription isn't awful and I don't always even wear glasses, however they definitely made a HUGE different when snorkeling and it was one of the best most random gifts I could have ever gotten.

She works in optical too so she knew more about that stuff than I do and I didn't really even think about it.

I believe the ones I have are Sea Vision brand but I'm not positive. I'll ask her and get back to you once I hear the exact brand. I've been more than happy with them and had them for about 3 years now and used extensively. I've used them on my Discover Scuba class as well and they were awesome while doing SCUBA too!

EDIT:

They were actually from Liberty Sport, these ones here:

SV 2000 | Prescription Diving Mask with UV Protection

And I had no clue they were that expensive either!

I've been watching the thread and there's wonderful replies. Here is a few more thoughts.

As a diver I appreciate you're wanting to become a diver. All of us have overcome challenges to make it a reality. Yours will be different than mine. Your motivation for diving I respect.

In our dive therapy program many of our divers have unique needs (a few with CP so far too) we need to think about ways to work with to dive safely.

This sort of adaptive diving is very personalized and is best done in small groups or one on one. With creativity, you'll surprise even yourself.

If you were closer I'd be happy to spent an afternoon in your pool and we'd explore how the equipment and skills can be made to work for you.

I couldn't promise a certification without a try dive and taking time to show you what the requirements are and you seeing how diving can fit your needs. We then could decide together what sort if training and certification you'd enjoy. There are very few limits in diving.

Enjoy exploring the idea,
Cameron

I just googled this and found a couole interesting links

One is the brand mentioned by the previous poster - About SeaVision - SeaVisionUSA

The other is an option that mentions they accept HSA prescriptions which I assume you can get from a local opthamologist. SportRX
they apparently also sell Seavision product.

I think a ProHD is unisex but I'm not sure.

It dawned on me that one option for your sister might be an Aqualung BCD with their I3 inflator system - basically a lever at the lower left side that you push to activate a linkage to add or vent air. They're pretty easy to push/pull but only mounted on the left.

Unlike a conventional inflator - the I3 is not affected by pressure - it has a fixed amount of resistance built-in so it doesn't accidentally operate if you brush up against something. The I3 system obviously adds to the cost.And being proprietary - any warranty work is done only at an Aqualung dealer if any unique parts are needed.

One nice feature is that when they vent - the system opens all the flat valves at the same time so diver orientation doesn't matter.

Here's a couple of ladies models with an I3.
priced low to high:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Lung-Pearl-i3-Womens-BC-Large-Pink/107554616
(zoom in on the photo, the I3 is the little red handle on the lower left downfrom where it says Aqualung)

Aqua Lung Lotus i3 BCD

Aqua Lung Soul i3 BCD

A Titan is a classic updated AL model - parts are available everywhere. I've read the ABS Octo is like breathing thru a straw bt the swivel makes that convenient for your buddy. Mares also makes a similar product - my buddy had one for a while - I tried it once and it was fine.

An I300 is a good basic computer - it used to be made for Oceanic so has been proven.Aqualung bougjht the maker - Pelagic Pressure a few years ago and re-badged it.

Your link is bad so what's the package price?

HI all, I live in Northwestern Missouri and we don't really have anywhere to go SCUBA Diving locally ( I think the closest is Beaver Lake in Arkansas but that is still a 5 hour drive).

I have cerebral palsy, though I am not wheelchair bond, I can't drive because of it. It causes me difficulty standing, walking, as well as my leg muscles are fairly weak and in chronic pain. I am not sure I would be able to walk with all the gear on me. Also I am not great at swimming, looking at the PADI recommendations I don't know if I could swim the 200m they would require. I also have severe ADHD, but whether or not that's an issue might just depend on the instructor. I learn better by doing and having written material to refer to as a opposed to long verbal explanations.

I realize wanting to become certified SCUBA Dive might be dumb for someone in my situation to try and get certified when I might only be able to dive maybe once every few years (if i can even get certified at all), but it would be nice to have something in wallet that shows I can do more than just spend my life looking at my computer screen.

I wish you well in your efforts. I say go for it. Diving for me has been a revelation. I've wanted to do it since I was a kid, growing up watching Jacques Cousteau, I just got the opportunity to be certified last year. I turn 50 in November. I am now PADI advanced open water certified and will have my rescue diver certification before year end. I think the nature of diving may be conducive to your condition with respect to the weight of gear in the water etc. and your ability to be mobile in the environment. My stepson is on the autism spectrum. Regarding ADHD, I think you're right in that it may depend on the instructor. Performing the skills in the pool and in open water is where the rubber hits the road as opposed to paper work. If you have a passion for it like many of us do, you will succeed.

A Titan is a classic updated AL model - parts are available everywhere. I've read the ABS Octo is like breathing thru a straw bt the swivel makes that convenient for your buddy. Mares also makes a similar product - my buddy had one for a while - I tried it once and it was fine.

An I300 is a good basic computer - it used to be made for Oceanic so has been proven.Aqualung bougjht the maker - Pelagic Pressure a few years ago and re-badged it.

Your link is bad so what's the package price?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PQYPK7...73-11e8-9eeb-6fcbc1953dbe&smid=A2723J7RNEVF7N here is a fixed link and here is something amazon also recomened as well https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQQV5H...&pd_rd_r=d9b8b70c-a273-11e8-9205-3139c21ec8a0 as far as price I am not sure I would like to stay under $1500 for everything (including perscribtion mask/ snorkle , fins, and maybe a 3 mm wetsuit). Though I am just kinda window shopping right now we still to see about getting her in the pool with some gear on in general and see if this is something she would want to go further with or just a one time thing. I would hate to throw down $1500+ on gear and she finds she doesn't want to actually dive anymore and I am just stuck with gear that would not be useful for me because I am so much bigger than her.

One small detail. On both packages notice that the console has a separate pressure gauge? That means the computer is just a module at the top and does not get pressure readings thru the hose - why you need the separate spg. It does tell you the depth and do all the other computer functions like safety stop time, any deco obligations (not likely) and it tracks/logs your dives. They do a few other things also but those are the basics - some include pre-diving planners - mine has one but I've never used it.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQQV5H...&pd_rd_r=d9b8b70c-a273-11e8-9205-3139c21ec8a0

Packages are not always the best deal but a good starting point. Leisurepro.com has a build-your-own package option you may want to play around with.

One point at least with the Aqualung package is make sure the seller is a licensed Aqualung dealer - most are actually dive shops with an Amazon storefront - since you'll need that for future warranty work - Aqualung is about the strictest for that.

I can't speak to your other issue but know that the used value of even new scuba gear is 50-60% of what you paid as soon as you get it wet.

Also with either brand - consider your service options. The regs at least will have to be serviced annaully (Cressi) or every other year (Aqualung) and given where you live likely you'll have to send them to Regtech in Chicago or Scubatoys in Dallas. Or Airtech in Raleign.

There's nothing wrong with either package except packages tend to be generic for an average price. Of the two, the Aqualung is the better gesr. Cressi is not as well known in the US and dealers may be harder to find. Aqualung has the most dealers worldwide of just about any of the major brands.

PADI or SSI (divessi.com) have shop locators on their websites - might give you a starting point for a semi-local shop.

One other thing - if you decide to buy from a scuba online retailer - call them. Some are required to show MSRP in their ads but can discount from that privately - or throw in some useful accessory to make the sale. Scubatoys has done that for me once.Within reason most online retailers have pretty liberal return/exchange policies if someothing doesn't fit - until you mark it or get it wet - then you own it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom