I am not a bone head I swear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba~dog

Registered
Reaction score
I flunked my open water written! :upset:

I am having trouble mastering the RDP tables. My husband is a dive master so he is helping and hopefully i will be ready in couple days. We can't find a site with Dive profile problems i can work on. Throw em at me guys so i can have practise. I wanna pass really i do.

it's a process that once you understand, you won't forget. What are you having probs with? single dive profiles or multi-dive profiles? which agency are you working with? PADI?

I am having trouble with multiples. I am ok with single dives.

PADI is the only agency that uses the RDP. Other agencies use tables, but they generally refer to them as tables or dive tables.

Dive tables tent to scare people who are not comfortable with math because they have lots of numbers. Those numbers are everywhere.

You need to be pretty good at math to write a set of tables. OTOH, to use them you don't need to know any more math than vey simple addition and substraction. Forget all the numbers, simply follow the lines.

Does your husband keep a log book? If so, he might be able to make up some problems based on data from his old dives. That way you'll get some realistic scenarios.

Zept

Originally posted by Walter
Dive tables tent to scare people who are not comfortable with math because they have lots of numbers. Those numbers are everywhere.

And letters. Don't forget all them letters :wink:.

For multiple dives, are you writing everything down as you go? I can do the calculations in my head now, but when I started I had to draw a couple of those 'up and down' diagrams and fill everything in. That way you can concentrate on the process without wasting any brainpower on remembering the numbers and pressure groups. Also, I suggest you get comfortable with working problems 'forwards' (dive, surface interval, dive, etc) before you tackle the 'backwards' ones where you're given the details of two dives and have to work out the surface interval.

Zept

Hi Scuba~dog

Check out the link below. It is a software package called Table Tutor. It has a free downLoad that lets you evaluate the program for a few sessions with out purchase. Table Tutor has 9 different table formats. PADI, NAVY and others. The program gives you table related questions and explains the answers to you in simple easy to read format. Give it a try, it’s free. ………………….Arduous

Hi Scuba~dog,

I did an internet search and found this site. It has a couple of examples and a few practice problems.

Understanding the RDP

Hope this helps.

Scuba~dog, don't worry. It'll all come together soon... and when it does, you'll have one of those wonderful "Ah ha!" moments. :idea:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom