I am now disabled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoy D Dabbs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi you all

Dispite I have been diving for years, Last November I starting to get upper backache, In December every time I cough or sneeze feel like pins and needles in my legs, In January I become nub from my chest down, Week later I could not walk right and I was falling down in parking lots, Than I went to emergency, They called in neurologist he ordered MRI, It show there was a tumor on my T3 vertebrae that was cramping down on my spinal cord, Biopsy was done and was cancer, Latter they did surgey and took out T3 vertebrae and put in 2 titanium plates and 8 titanium screws fusing T1,T2,T4,T5, Since the surgery I cannot move my legs at all, and now I can move my legs they are week and I am going to physical therapy.

My last dive was on December 26, and I need to get back in the water, Now I am paraplegic since I can't use my legs, How to put on and take off drysuit, Witch would be butter front zipper or back zipper drysuit, and how much help will it take, And how to get in and out of water.

This event was on june 6th.
Spokane Search & Rescue volunteer battling cancer, medical bills | KREM.com Spokane

I am sorry to hear about your medical issues that have led to this. I am very happy to see that you are not giving up. I have worked with disabled divers, and the one thing all of them say is that it is very therapeutic and in the water they can let go of the problems of the world. You are an inspiration to all.

I wish I could help you on the drysuit question. I guess really the only way to find out is to try them out. Their has got to be an LDS around you that would let you try on different styles so you could see the level of effort and assistance needed.

I would look at side mount diving as well since you don't have to carry the tanks on your back.

Sent from my DROID X2

My last dive was on December 26, and I need to get back in the water, Now I am paraplegic since I can't use my legs, How to put on and take off drysuit, Witch would be butter front zipper or back zipper drysuit, and how much help will it take, And how to get in and out of water.

It probably doesn't actually matter whether you get front or back zip, since you'll need someone to give you a hand getting in an out of the suit either way. The only real difference is that the back zip suits require a buddy to zip/unzip regardless of disability, while most people can do their own front zip suit themselves. However you'll probably need a hand getting into the suit anyway, so this isn't as big an issue.

Not sure how much help it will take to get you in and out of the water. That depends on how strong your legs get and what kind of boat you're using.

flots.

I am the opposite of you, new diver and long time paraplegic. For a wetsuit, I found a two piece easier, while a dry suit doesn't require the same amount of shimming in so think I'd prefer one with the longest zipper allowing for most easy entry.

Enjoy diving again, and I look forward to hearing your observation!

Hi Stoy,
I'm paraplegic from TH5.
I have my wet suite customized:
two long zippers on each leg, up to long over the knees.
And I have a zipper in the front and in the back.
(Very handy for surface intervals, I just open all zippers, slip out with my arms, put the suit away from my legs and safe myself the work to get into the wet wetsuit again)

I could put my wet suite on myself, but it is still long hard work (I wear a 7 mm which weighs about 3 kilo)
With a little hand of a helper, we need about 3 minutes and I'm in and ready to dive :)

Sorry to hear of your brush with cancer and the resulting physical challenges. I know it has been a long hard road to get this far but you can do it. Most of the healing is done by the brain, many have done what the doctor said was not possible given their condition. But they fought and fought and kept trying and did it anyway.
...Since the surgery I cannot move my legs at all, and now I can move my legs they are week and I am going to physical therapy.

...My last dive was on December 26, and I need to get back in the water,...
Yes you do. SCUBA diving has done amazing things for paralyzed individuals, including helping them move paralyzed limbs. Not saying it will help, just saying for some it does. Since you already have some movement it seems like the natural step.

... Now I am paraplegic since I can't use my legs, How to put on and take off drysuit,
The same way you always did. Just you will be safer and sit down instead of hopping around and taking the chance of falling and breaking your neck. When it comes time to get the dry suit over your derrière you will push up with your arms on the chair and lift yourself clear while your dive buddy helps move it pull it on or off.[/quote]
... Witch would be butter front zipper or back zipper drysuit, and how much help will it take,
Personal preference on the zipper. Probably not need much help. Have to do it and see.
...And how to get in and out of water.
Are we talking beach or boat dive. Both are possible and I have done both with divers who had quadriplegia, paraplegia and others.

Now to answer your questions more fully. You will want to get retrained in your new body where you will learn about how to address all the above questions. You need to locate a qualified adaptive SCUBA instructor in your area. Handicapped SCUBA Association International (HSA) is in 45 countries and has been around for over 31 years to do just that. This link HSA Non-Members will take you to the listing of instructors in Washington. Most are over in Seattle but some in other cities. You will also want to retrain in the drysuit. Correcting for air in the dive boots inverting you will be more of a challenge with limited or no use of your abdominal muscles and legs. Normally we suggest adding dump valves in the ankles (both) to auto dump if you get upside down. I am diving at the end of June with a paraplegic in a drysuit.

Please feel free to call me anytime.

For you, I would consider purchasing a scooter. It doesn't have to be blazing fast, just enough to give you enough propulsion so that your legs don't have to do all the work.

As far as the drysuit goes, as long as you can get yourself dressed into undergarments (which I'm assuming is no trouble at all) you should be able to put a drysuit on. Definitely a front zip would be best, so you could get the majority of it on yourself. There may be some drysuit manf. that could help out with the fitting of a custom drysuit.

I was orginally paralyzed from my neck down for 4 days In an accident in the line of duty. I fought my way back to where I am today. Granted I am walking but I am a little bit slower than I use to be. and I don't have my strength and coordination in my arm and hand. But, I have found with my disability that the Whites Fusion works good for me. The first couple times I had to have help getting the suit on. But it seems a little bit easier now to put it on. I still have to have some help but mostly I am doing it by myself. The suit I use has a front zipper to it. I do not have the strength to pull the zipper but then that is me. I was told that this dry suit you don't have as much of a problem with the air moving down to your legs. You might have some but I was told and shown it isn't as easy.
I wish you the very best. Please get back into the water and diving. It did me a world of good when I finally realized that I can dive again. It has helped me in so many ways. Mentally and physically.
HSA is a wonderful organization. Please contact them. They will help you in anyway they can. Pasley gave some really good information. I know Pasley helped me a lot with excellant advise. I hope some day I can meet up with him to dive.
God Bless You.
MedFlame03

... I know Pasley helped me a lot with excellant advise. I hope some day I can meet up with him to dive.
God Bless You.
MedFlame03
It was my pleasure to talk to you all those years ago. I hope one day we can dive togehter too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom