I am so excited this exists!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trixiegirl1970

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I am thrilled to have found this post as much of my renewed desire to become an instructor is to research the idea of scuba therapy. Obviously I am still years away from this but here is the background. I work with people with special needs...one day I was at my local pool and ran in to the families I work with. The kids (these two) have Cerebral Palsy. They LOVE to swim and be in the water. Of course they can't keep themselves above water... their parents who are braver than I, allow them to flail around and then pick them back up after a few seconds (longer than I am comfy with, but they know their kids) I was so surprised by this and it had never entered into my thoughts of possibilities for that population.

I have been thinking about full face masks and differnt adaptatioins that could be done to be with them under water to experience that weightlessness and relieve the pressure on their joints.

Anyway, I look forwrad to reading more on the organizatoins you all have mentioned adn I look forward to my journey with this.... oH - Not that i intend on being able to offer all of them certifications mind you - but the pool activity would be so much more than they have now.

The IAHD International Association for Handicapped Divers is coming to America. Just last week the US base has been established in Harleysville Pennsylvania. Check out the web site for general information and other programs and if you have any questions about the US operations send a note to info@iahd-americas.org.
We just started to work on the web site for the US operations ... but you can bookmark it now and come back for additional information later International Association for Handicapped Divers

Csaba

Handicapped Scuba Association, Handicap Scuba Association based in San Clemente California is an International SCUBA association that certifies divers with handicappes and dive buddies (a course for you to take) as well as dive instructors for the handicapped. Established in 1981 and received endorsements and early funding from J. Cousteau and others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom