• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I booked my Cozumel hotel for a week @ $43

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by DandyDon, Jan 4, 2018.

1. mcohen1021

mcohen1021 Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Restaurants on CZ are SO GOOD I could never go AI. Plus buffet food just makes me want to yak.

"Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know...." :wink::wink:

2. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Agreed. Its all in what you want or need. AI is wasted on me and my cost would go to supporting flyboys visit since I don’t drink and as a petite female my food consumption is probably not equal to the cost as well. And with diving I rarely visit the pool.

Brodydog, Newdiv and Dogbowl like this.
  3. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Mary Carmen. First time there, but it looks nice enough. It seems to be almost across the street from Suites Colonial where I stayed the last two trips. I didn't notice it, but I guess that's me. I am so lucky to have never stepped on a rattlesnake, altho I have come awfully close at times. Screw that old advise of standing still. That sound can see me hoping away on whichever foot is still on the ground at the time. I'm lucky I didn't fall on a tombstone last time as I was photographing a cemetery, reading headstones as I walked.

I've always enjoyed the angles. My dad used to embarrass my mom dickering at stores on larger items, but asking for the boss often worked.

Good for you. I travel alone and like staying in town. Your math for a solo traveler would be $155-25 = $130, huh.

Yep.

Yep, easy enough. That's my go to site, but there are many others. I pick my dates & location, then realign the choices from cheapest to highest. Walmart.com fails at that, but most can do it. Then I look at the properties and amenities of several, seeing if I get enough of what I really want. I used to book high end properties, but never really cared much for them. There are several cheaper, starting at $15, but the word hostel makes me leery.

I enjoy camping but it takes a Impala with the seats folded down to haul everything I need for my campsite.

4. AdivingBel

AdivingBel Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

Awww c'mon...if you're not in the pool how's Millie going to steal your shoes?? :)

uncfnp likes this.
  5. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

It's all good! And since we live in NYC...and love it, on vacations, I like to feel more remote and the grounds of the Occidental are lush and green with a wild variety of animals...dive sites are 5-10 minutes away too :) ...a moonlight evening swim in the pools can be downright erotic....if ya get my drift.....and lounging on the beach after a few dives baskin in da sun feels nice on my abused body :)

6. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Guess you'll never experience the beauty of Little or Cayman Brac?

7. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

The pool at Magda’s is the exception! Especially in July. I am going to seriously miss that wee beastie this February.

And I should say I rarely drink because I do make an exception for special tequila left by a friend. ;-)

AdivingBel likes this.
  8. Dogbowl

Dogbowl Contributor

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    I enjoy AI in certain locales and in certain situations, but not if it’s just hubby and me in Coz. We like to stay downtown and walk to restaurants close by. We’re particularly lazy vacationers. We stay in Casa Mexicana, eat “brunch” at the hotel (free), dive with 3Ps (next street over) and eat at restaurants within several blocks of the hotel. I quit drinking due to health issues, hubby doesn’t drink a drop. We dive every day, so no need for a pool. Sure, AI “packages” are often such good deals (including AI, airfare, hotel transfers), I’m often tempted. And AI hotels and amenities are always cushier...so nice. But for us in Coz, we go for the diving and tacos, so we sacrifice creature comforts. Although I must admit if there was a hotel downtown that was cushier and roomier than Casa Mexicana, I’d splurge for it. I’m getting older and like creature comforts.

flyboy08 likes this.
  9. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

We walk by it a lot going to Woody's on the square. The lobby looks pretty nice.

10. mikeycanuk

mikeycanuk Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Funny, we did the Occidental back in 08 and yikes, the reviews on the “food” were spot on. Dreadful. We did the timeshare spiel after a party night to get a free car rental and ate dinners in town. We loved the now closed Italian place on top of El Cantil. It was in its prime then.

As for Cayman Brac, why couldn’t she see it? We’ve rented a house there twice. Nice island but our first encounter with Reef Divers was... extremely unpleasant. We then used ex RD employee Martin. Ran a good op but after looking at our dive logs with 41-43 minute dives it seemed Liesle (Martin’s wife) was more interested in getting back to shore than getting max bottom time for us. So we moved on. Plus we are over the island hopping flights. Spent more on those than flying on points out of YYZ.

sefuchs likes this.