I can't help but notice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see, two threads I've came across the last day or so with some rather pointed comments that fat people shouldn't be diving PERIOD and you'll REALLY be in trouble if people have to be bothered with hauling your fat arse out of the water!

Tell you what, as long as you don't have to dive with me and possibly have to haul my fat arse out of the water, don't bother yourself with it!

But there's a positive - fat floats! :p

"BMI is not a perfect measure, because it does not directly assess body fat. Muscle and bone are denser than fat, so an athlete or muscular person may have a high BMI, yet not have too much fat. But most people are not athletes, and for most people, BMI is a very good gauge of their level of body fat.
That is what is called a false dichotomy. It suggests there are only two types of people in this world--professional athletes and couch potatoes. There are plenty of people who work out, lift weights, etc, but still would not qualify as athletes. They could stand to lose some weight, sometimes a pretty fair amount and still have a lot more muscle mass than the BMI would expect. In that case the BMI is deceptive.

That is what is called a false dichotomy. It suggests there are only two types of people in this world--professional athletes and couch potatoes. There are plenty of people who work out, lift weights, etc, but still would not qualify as athletes. They could stand to lose some weight, sometimes a pretty fair amount and still have a lot more muscle mass than the BMI would expect. In that case the BMI is deceptive.
I'm sure Harvard will be sending you an offer momentarily since your understanding is much greater than the doctors they have on staff.

[QUOTE="Marie13, post: 8080613, member: 478333]

Tell you what, as long as you don't have to dive with me and possibly have to haul my fat arse out of the water, don't bother yourself with it!

[/QUOTE]

I hope that isn't your take-away from my comments Marie because I certainly said nothing of the sort. All I have said is that obese people are at higher risk diving as well as all sorts of other things. Obese people who are also older are at even greater risk. And obese people who are older and are new divers are perhaps at the highest risk of all…

With regard to your your comment about leaving you in the water which I have quoted above, we both know that it's not that simple. It's also not a matter of choice. I made reference earlier to my buddy who is a big man, both tall and somewhat overweight. ( although honestly, it's his lack of fitness that is the greater concern) My wife who is often our boat tender, weighs 97 pounds. There is absolutely no way on God's green earth that she would ever be able to get him back into the boat. By your logic, she should simply accept that and leave him there in the water to die. Unfortunately not only is he one of my best friends, but he's also one of her very close friends so om that scenario there would be devastating side effects to her emotional well-being. We three have occasionally "joked" about this and he has given us his permission to simply put a rope around his foot and drag him back to the dock.

I'm fairness, she would also have trouble hauling my 192 pounds out of the water and but she would have a much greater likelihood of success with me than she would with him. Plus, if she left me to die, there would be a nice financial gain for her as well…

I'm sorry if you are finding these discussions offensive.

BMI is a population assessment. As the guy who created the obesity epidemic said while reviving BMI from well deserved obscurity, it is not suitable for assessing individuals.

this old chestnut... everyone in this thread with a BMI over 30 who is also a professional athlete please raise your hand and excuse yourself.

everyone else:

"BMI is not a perfect measure, because it does not directly assess body fat. Muscle and bone are denser than fat, so an athlete or muscular person may have a high BMI, yet not have too much fat. But most people are not athletes, and for most people, BMI is a very good gauge of their level of body fat.

• Research has shown that BMI is strongly correlated with the gold-standard methods for measuring body fat. (2) And it is an easy way for clinicians to screen who might be at greater risk of health problems due to their weight. (3,4)"
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesit...ity-definition/obesity-definition-full-story/

being pedantic can be fun and i get that, but are we even disagreeing here? i'm not sure i see your point.

you're missing a key ingredient when it comes to using this metric to assess health risks: THE TRAINED PHYSICIAN who has eyeballs just like you, and can see Rob Gronkowski is not morbidly obese when he walks through the door. most doctor's cant dexa scan you when you walk into their office presenting with whatever symptoms or morbidiy that landed you there. so If a physician is sizing you up and giving you a BMI number, it's probably not a sign that you are the fittest guy on the planet.

if you have to have a contruction crew build you a wetsuit from the ground up beause you cant fit into a standard XXL AND a doctor is telling you you're morbidly obese according to BMI, maybe diving is contraindicated for you and some fork putdowns would be good for your overall health

btw i've been morbidly obese before and i've done all the mental gymnastics myself and came to the conclusion that I, like most people, was obese when the number said i was. after i didnt get picked up in the draft i was pretty sure i was just fat

l3froo6id5nvo6z8ywd7.jpg

l3froo6id5nvo6z8ywd7.jpg

"Usually, older people die sooner than younger ones.
Older people usually have more heart attacks, flatulence, cancer, hemorrhoids, toe fungus, erectile dysfunction, shingles, gout, ear hair, liver spots, dementia, COPD, bladder leakage, diabetes, cats, walkers, and probably constipation than younger people.
Obese people usually have more health issues than non obese ones.
People that are inexperienced in any sport usually have more accidents than the very experienced.
Rob Gronkowski is probably not obese, at least until after he retires.

Have I covered everything?"

Thanks Capt. Obvious!

Back
Top Bottom