I dont check my bags - how to get knife there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just checking... so... you don't want to pay $25 to check a bag (or free depending on the airline you fly) and wait 10 minutes at the airport? Instead, you'd rather pay fed ex $35-40 to overnight your knife, and maybe pay the hotel an additional "receiving fee" to receive your package? Ok then. Fed Ex is the way to go then.

Correct I don't want to ever have the chance of having my bag lost. And it can be a lot longer than 10 minutes. I won't check a bag. Ever. Just my policy.

And I can send it out a couple of days a head of time instead of paying high fees for an overnight.

Take a mini maglite sheath with you. Go to dollar store when you get there. Buy cheap pack of steak knives. Break off tip. Voila- DIR style knife!

You can't carry that on.

Why not consider Jim's suggestion in post #3?

You can't carry a steak knife with the tip broken off.

I read it as him suggesting taking just a sheath and buying some cheap steak knives at the destination. If they're cheap enough, just leave them behind when you leave, still cheaper than fedexing a knife.

Get a "z" knife or trauma shears and you will be able to carry it on.

I read it as him suggesting taking just a sheath and buying some cheap steak knives at the destination. If they're cheap enough, just leave them behind when you leave, still cheaper than fedexing a knife.

That was how I read Jim's suggestion too, but I can see the confusion.

If all you desire is a cutting edge, Jim's idea will certainly solve the issue, w/o paying any extra to ship and maybe lose a package.
I have had Fed Ex lose some very important (and far more expensive) packages, and that was on domestic shipping :shakehead: I am no fan of shipping; Fed Ex, UPS, or USPS (who I really do not trust, after driving as a contractor for them!)

I would rather chance the airline, especially if it is a one hop. And NOT flying threw MIA. THERE I have lost dive gear 2X!

Get a "z" knife or trauma shears and you will be able to carry it on.

Are you sure about the Z knife? I seriously doubt that can be carried on. It's a razor blade (in a housing). I would guess most security agents would refer to it as "box cutters" which you can't carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom