I dont check my bags - how to get knife there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm fairly sure you posted you're flying from Cleveland but this will be similar no matter where you're flying from. I used Coz as a destination, Cancun is probably similar. Farther down Riviera Maya is possibly more.

A 1 lb. package shipped Fedex Economy (3-day) International will cost $62.55 - One Way!!

And you'll have to do all this:
Important for Customs: To prevent delays, your shipment must have the following customs documents attached: Commercial Invoice, Certificate of Origin, Shippers Export Declaration. Additional clearance documents may also be required.
You probably don't have to do the C.I. if the knife is used...and the CofO requires where the knife was manufactured - not where you bought it.

Buy a knife when you get there. And give it to your DM when you leave.

Do you actually own a knife now? Or are you just wasting our time here?
I will start off saying that I'm a newbie and hope to take the course for PADI here in Cleveland, but then actually do the dives to get the final certification somewhere tropical. So a place that also has a dive school that offers a dual-certificationship (if that's even a word lol)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I read it as him suggesting taking just a sheath and buying some cheap steak knives at the destination. If they're cheap enough, just leave them behind when you leave, still cheaper than fedexing a knife.

Whoops - I misread that.

I'm fairly sure you posted you're flying from Cleveland but this will be similar no matter where you're flying from. I used Coz as a destination, Cancun is probably similar. Farther down Riviera Maya is possibly more.

A 1 lb. package shipped Fedex Economy (3-day) International will cost $62.55 - One Way!!

And you'll have to do all this:
You probably don't have to do the C.I. if the knife is used...and the CofO requires where the knife was manufactured - not where you bought it.

Buy a knife when you get there. And give it to your DM when you leave.

Do you actually own a knife now? Or are you just wasting our time here?

This goes back to what I said. Not to mention - many U.S. Carriers allow a FREE checked bag when traveling internationally. Also not to mention that you have to clear immigrations before you claim your bag and go through customs... I have to travel internationally to get to work, and pretty much - by the time you clear immigration, your bags are out, and then you go to Customs and then you're in.

I fly probably 40-50,000 miles a year on U.S. airlines, and have for several years now. I've only had one lost bag in that time, and it wasn't LOST LOST, just slightly delayed.

I also take my pocket knife with me everywhere I go. It's a 4" blade folding knife, and I never leave home without it. Considering how much I fly, I don't have a choice but to put it in my checked bag... which I do... every time I fly. A very good friend of mine has a saying, "what good is a diver without a sharp knife?" I tend to agree.

(and I also fly into and out of MIA every few weeks - with no issues to speak of either)

Most people I talk to who have knife carve pumpkins at Halloween and that's about it. Can't see why someone would have to have a knife. A cutting device yes like a z knife or shears but only depending where you dive.

Most people I talk to who have knife carve pumpkins at Halloween and that's about it. Can't see why someone would have to have a knife. A cutting device yes like a z knife or shears but only depending where you dive.

You are absolutely correct.
In the last 20 years of diving I have never had any use for a knife underwater.
I have needed snips to cut free some monofilament on beach clean-up days and that's about it.
A knife has come in handy topside to cut up some pineapple after the dive and a bottle opener for my brewskis.
So why is it that I see so many newer divers with the BIG Crocodile Dundee Shark Killer knives?

From this day foward I will no longer carry things that I will rarely if ever use.
This day foward I will have the best darn beer bottle opener strapped to my leg because that my friend is the number one tool that no diver should be without.

I use my knife frequently. I never dive without it.

Aqua_Lung_Master_Knife.jpg

Is that you John Rambo?

No...

And I don't carve pumpkins either.

HEY! You got my knife!

I wondered where it went. PM me and I give you the address to return it....:D

That was one heck of a blade, although mine was late 60's US Divers, and had a serrated back side, instead of serrating a portion of the blade like yours. Prybar, hammer, saw, even a fairly sharp blade. @12" long, and looked so Sea Hunt. :wink:

Are you sure about the Z knife? I seriously doubt that can be carried on. It's a razor blade (in a housing). I would guess most security agents would refer to it as "box cutters" which you can't carry on.

Heck, they confiscated my finger nail clippers, 3 years ago, just because they had an 1 1/2" nail file I overlooked. Lost my good Swiss army knife last year too, because I forgot it was in my camera bag, from local dive trip, and no way did I want to shuttle all the way back to parking, and chance missing the flight to Bonaire. Even for that nice old knife.

I had to give up my multi-tool with an o-ring pick on it because I had put it in my case with my computer instead of my checked bag.

Back
Top Bottom