• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

I dont check my bags - how to get knife there?

Discussion in 'Knives and Cutting Tools' started by johnnyscience, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Charlie99

Charlie99 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've had no problem taking EMT shears onboard for my last few flights, but did not declare them and don't know if they are OK or I was just lucky to sneak them through.

Has anybody had theirs taken away by airport security?

I have used my EMT shears fairly often to clean up monofilament on the reef. The advantage of shears over a knife is that it's easy to snip mono one-handed, while cutting with a knife you sometimes have to use one hand to hold the line and the other to cut.

I don't mind diving w/o a knife, but I won't dive w/o my shears.

2. terrylowe

terrylowe Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Had my Z knife pulled in Cozumel on the way home to US.

3. Jorgy

Jorgy Solo Diver

With shears or a z-knife it is hit or miss, just depends on how the screeners are interpreting the rules that day.....in my opinion not worth the risk or the hassle....

Checking a bag also allows for bringing liquids greater than 3.4 oz such as sunscreen and saline solution for the family (2 of 4 wear contacts) and some tools to have just-in-case....

M

4. FireInMyBones

FireInMyBones Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I can fit the following in my dedicated dive carry-on (which is currently just a small cheap luggage):
    BP and hog harness
    STA w/ 2 cam straps
    2 velcro weight pockets
    2 masks
    reg set w/ long hose
    wrist compass
    wrist bottom timer
    size L Jet fins
    3 mil wetsuit with sewn on pocket
    finger spool
    3.3' DSMB
    snorkel for snorkeling
    mini save a dive kit
    log book and necessary C-cards

I also carry a small backpack with any clothes I will need, toiletries and my laptop.

I get two carry-ons, I use them to the fullest.

--------

To the OP, I second Jim's sugestion for a knife. I have made it on with trauma sheers before with a nice TSA agent (some do exist). I have a printed list of allowable carry ons which includes:
    The only problem is that you can not count on it passing. Thus...Jim's suggestion.

Bummer. Sorry, Terry. I guess they figured the "box cutter" argument?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. bkotheimer

bkotheimer Barracuda

I agree, I think it's quite possible to carry on everything you need to dive (except weights and tanks of course), and it IS a big pain to check/claim a bag.

As others have posted, EMT shears can do everything you'd need a knife for, and if you buy the colorful, plastic-looking ones, you should have no problem carrying them through security.

6. ktomlinson

ktomlinson Instructor, Scuba

I think the buy one when you get there is the best suggestion. If you were to ship it, even domestically it would be at least $5 each way. I especially like the borrow one idea. Maybe you could call ahead to the place you will be diving and ask if they have one you could rent/borrow. Personally, I check my bags because it's easier than shipping, but I also wouldn't put anything in my bags that I couldn't just run out and buy either.

7. jbb

jbb Photographer

8. FireInMyBones

FireInMyBones Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    About 35lbs. I need to weigh it again, I forget the exact weight.
    International.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. Bogie

Bogie Solo Diver

Ship it or just buy one when you get at your destination.

10. terrylowe

terrylowe Manta Ray

Not sure why they pulled it. They saw it on xray. Searched the bag, went right to it, pulled it out and then sorta acted like they had never seen one before. He asked his supervisor in rapid fire Spanish something and they told me in broken English that I couldn't take it with me. I had really meant to put it in checked luggage anyway. They were about to keep it when I asked if I could run put it in my checked luggage...they agreed. I went back out to the check-in line...my luggage was already gone. I found another person hauling scuba gear and asked him if he would check it with his things and he was happy to do it. Got it back in Houston. (by the way scuba guy...if you are reading this...THANKS for being a mule for me!)