I f*** up and I am ashamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For them, AOW is barely OW. DM is nothing if you are not deco and 60 meters certified.

As I said, there are agreements between agencies.

French level 1 = at least OW
French level 2 = at least rescue
French level 3 = doesn't have comparison; however, rescue+deep counts as "half" level 3 (like me)

I think Agencies affiliated shops are fine. But the bulk of the clubs are national federation affiliated and consider that they own Scuba. For them, AOW is barely OW. DM is nothing if you are not deco and 60 meters certified. When French are arrogant, they are even worse than the Anglo-Saxons. I know. I am French. By the way, Cousteau was … :)
Is it because CMAS 2* has rescue so the equivalence will be to rescue diver?

So there is no equivalent to AOW in the CMAS?

I am not sure that it is a CMAS thing. CMAS is not the official standard. It is a control thing. Diving is controlled by the FFESSM not the agencies. I have never dived in France yet but I have read a lot of stories about unhappy foreign customers or unhappy French divers who certified abroad.

I am not sure that it is a CMAS thing. CMAS is not the official standard. It is a control thing. Diving is controlled by the FFESSM not the agencies. I have never dived in France yet but I have read a lot of stories about unhappy foreign customers or unhappy French divers who certified abroad.
The International standard for diver grades is the ISO 24801group. CMAS ceased being the standards body when they started offering they’re own training courses in competition with the National associations, like FFESSM.

More countries are introducing legislation controlling recreational diving, making it illegal to dive without a local guide.

Here is an related story.

On the PADI student record forms and student log book, the instructor has to initial or sign a seemingly endless list of skills and tests a student has completed. On the PADI Americas form for this, in some cases a single signature can be used in lieu of a slew of initials. Back before eLearning, there were initials required showing completion of each of the 5 knowledge reviews and each of 5 confined water dives. That is in case different instructors supervised different items. If the same instructor did them all, the instructions clearly said that the instructor only needed to sign at the bottom of that section. The same was true for the log book. No problem--everyone in the shop did that. When students were planning to compete their OW certification on a trip, a photocopy of that page was used, along with the logbook, as a referral form so that the student could go right to the OW checkout dives wherever their vacation took them.

One of our students took that referral form and logbook to the resort where he was staying on a French island in the Caribbean. The shop refused to accept it because all of the individual items were not initialed. The student emailed our shop, our shop contacted PADI, and PADI contacted the instructor to tell him it was all OK. The instructor said, no, it was not OK. They were PADI America. He was PADI Europe. They could not tell him what to do.

So the student had to do all the class over again, at twice the price of the OW certification dives, and he missed out on a couple days of vacation. From then on, all of the instructors in the shop were recreated to initial everything and sign at the bottom, too.

Here the CMAS equivalence:
Dive Agency Crossovers BSAC, CMAS, SSI, NAUI & SAA to PADI

Here the FIPSAS (Italian CMAS branch):
Equivalenze livelli brevetti subacquei internazionali | ASD Universo Blu | Corso Sub a Roma e Bracciano

Here the French equivalence for ANMPI (it is not a CMAS branch):
Reconnaissances de niveaux

The following document describes the French equivalence for FFESSM (CMAS branch); apparently, rescue + deep + some integrations are sufficient for the 3rd level, while AWO + integrations are sufficient for the 2nd level:
https://www.edenplongee.fr/docs/Telechargement/Passerelles.pdf

It is a bit confusing. In general, one can say that rescue is equivalent to CMAS** and DM (with deep) to CMAS***. However, I believe that each agency can set the agreements they prefer, as long as they satisfy the minimum CMAS requirements. But this is what I think... I am not sure :)

Here the CMAS equivalence:
Dive Agency Crossovers BSAC, CMAS, SSI, NAUI & SAA to PADI

Here the FIPSAS (Italian CMAS branch):
Equivalenze livelli brevetti subacquei internazionali | ASD Universo Blu | Corso Sub a Roma e Bracciano

Here the French equivalence for ANMPI (it is not a CMAS branch):
Reconnaissances de niveaux

The following document describes the French equivalence for FFESSM (CMAS branch); apparently, rescue + deep + some integrations are sufficient for the 3rd level, while AWO + integrations are sufficient for the 2nd level:
https://www.edenplongee.fr/docs/Telechargement/Passerelles.pdf

It is a bit confusing. In general, one can say that rescue is equivalent to CMAS** and DM (with deep) to CMAS***. However, I believe that each agency can set the agreements they prefer, as long as they satisfy the minimum CMAS requirements. But this is what I think... I am not sure :)
The official rule that it is up to the Shop Diving Director. Which is 100% subject to interpretation. If he/ she wants, an assessment dive can even be requested from a SSI intructor to get a cylinder filled up.

I don’t agree on my motivation. In fact, I don’t care about C-cards. I want the knowledge and the experience. I am not a real DM if I don’t dive professionally, right?

You go to a place and they ask for your highest certification level. Are you not going to reply you are DM certified?

Working professionally or not you are DM certified. Be what you are :)

The official rule that it is up to the Shop Diving Director. Which is 100% subject to interpretation. If he/ she wants, an assessment dive can even be requested from a SSI intructor to get a cylinder filled up.

Actually it isn't to the shop, but to the "director of diving", who can be another person.

But yes, you're right, the directors have a huge power in this regard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom