I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but the Jalousies have a huge advantage being "already owned" and "already installed"
and rather small and missing panes. :D They're ugly. I want to replace the windows in my home with energy efficient ones, so I'm going to wait and use two of those. Right now, I've doubled the amount of window on the one side and it looks good. I'm going to steal the panes from the one I took out to put in the two in back for the interim.

and rather small and missing panes. :D They're ugly. I want to replace the windows in my home with energy efficient ones, so I'm going to wait and use two of those. Right now, I've doubled the amount of window on the one side and it looks good. I'm going to steal the panes from the one I took out to put in the two in back for the interim.

All good reasons. I've replaced most of the Jalousies in my properties except where ventilation is the key criteria. All 2nd floor now too. I've mixed a lot of bondo on the salvaged louvers.

Tobin

Of course, the window is pretty darn useless now that I've wiped my knee out. On another fauna note... I killed a mosquito this morning as I was hobbling out to the Kia to go get breakfast. It occurred to me that this was the first and only mosquito I've seen here.

I killed a mosquito this morning as I was hobbling out to the Kia to go get breakfast. It occurred to me that this was the first and only mosquito I've seen here.

Stay vigilant, Dude, stay vigilant....

Stay vigilant, Dude, stay vigilant....
Indeed. I really, really hate the bastards. I hadn't noticed their absence until one showed up.

The lawn is mowed, but I lost my glasses. Tree limb snatched them off and I just can't seem to find them. Very, very frustrating.

Of course, the window is pretty darn useless now that I've wiped my knee out...

I prescribe in-water hyperbaric therapy at least 4x/week.

I tried to get my GP to write a 'script for that but my lovely bride didn't buy it. Rats.

Of course, the window is pretty darn useless now that I've wiped my knee out. On another fauna note... I killed a mosquito this morning as I was hobbling out to the Kia to go get breakfast. It occurred to me that this was the first and only mosquito I've seen here.

That's because the mosquitoes are afraid of the swarms of no-seeums that will eventually plague you.

Ps we've had much fewer mosquitoes down here since the hurricane but they are starting to make their way back.

I prescribe in-water hyperbaric therapy at least 4x/week.
I did that after ankle surgery. The podiatrist ordered physical terrorism and I opted to dive instead. I only went on boats if the seas were 2 ft or less and stuck to springs, lakes and rivers. The podiatrist was surprised that after all the Achilles Tendon surgeries he had done, that I was the only one with no atrophy. I think I need to get some swimming in, but I'm not sure the springs are open yet. FWIW, I've lost 26 pounds in the month+ that I've been here. The lack of mosquitos and the cooler environment have enabled me to be far, far more active. 4 hours of mowing today, and while I feel a bit beat up by that zero turn mower, I didn't die due to the heat. The temps are about the same, but being surrounded by grass and woods beats the hell out of being surrounded by skeeters and pea rock. I just ate out on the porch and enjoyed the evening setting in with cool breezes and no skeeters. That never happened in the Keys. I feel like the luckiest man in the world right now.

That's because the mosquitoes are afraid of the swarms of no-seeums that will eventually plague you.
I haven't had those either. I made sure I was high and dry when I bought. I am equidistant from many of my favorite springs.

Indeed. I really, really hate the bastards. I hadn't noticed their absence until one showed up.

The lawn is mowed, but I lost my glasses. Tree limb snatched them off and I just can't seem to find them. Very, very frustrating.

Sounds like you bought yerself a evil enchanted forest. Wait 'til the Zombies start participatin'.

Last edited:
Sounds like you bought yerself a evil enchanted forest.
Hah! Never thought of it like that. I knew better than to mow that close.

Wait 'til the Zombies start participatin'.
Never heard cave divers being referred to as Zombies. :D :D :D

So, even after the afternoon of mowing, I went back into the shop and put up a few more sections of foam. Life is good.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom