I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was down in the Keys for a few dives and in Venice. I really enjoyed the dives!

So there has been rain and threats of rain for the last 5 days. In addition to that, my knee took a bit lame (weather?) so I've been doing more sitting than doing... until today. Too wet to plant. Too wet to fix vehicles. So, it's time to install the BA sink and mondo faucet. The problem that I have is that the sink is plumbed with the grey predecessor to PEX and there's only one valve on the hot side. It's my opinion that PEX is the way to go for supply-side plumbing and that PVC is better left to sewage and drainage. So I turned off the water to the house, opened the faucet in the yard and went to work pulling the sink and installing two valves and since I was in there, I added a "HOT" label to the hot side.

pc5eBMc3rCX7ShMAsR21sLWbMEhz-nrjtlPuP3LogLMuS8u2wkiYz_aBtCi5tlIVpHqptDyfgdIEoMHRq=w1285-h1713-no.jpg

Before

D5Y-80-KlGY_mwThUpW2LSLi_UNfeJCAIvYArGRUuz8oEZjBr7Kgvmp6Dd2Wpk4IsLzoBrTW8G3W7WsZX=w1285-h1713-no.jpg

After​

So far everything is dry. Yay! I do need to clean up below the sink as there has been a drip for some time.

The plan was to install just the sink and faucet. The old faucet had developed a fatal leak from corrosion. New O-rings can't fix that kind of leak. Unfortunately, the water has ruined the countertop, so that has to be replaced.

zu1C1xjLtQzoH53aw_r5U28xxMIKV3GO4I7PDaLWGJzDBrETnTbQgSpdDavhDOThb5xNkRVQeG83JDE7d=w2285-h1713-no.jpg

Unfortunately, the sewer vent will be in the way of the new sink, so I'm going to have to redo that while I'm in there. I got the fittings while I was at Home Depot getting the new countertop. No, I'm not doing Corian or anything fancy, just a Plain ol' countertop that I'll have to cut a hole in.

VfXPB-X6HxZHqc7SZIhfo4ExtO_6YvqBM_H2SO3Jh3txkZJP5x-H0PgNDdwHzf2p1ZRcqltYjqtSqKUfN=w2285-h1713-no.jpg

The big issues are two-fold. I have to add power for both a garbage disposal and a dishwasher. I also have to enlarge the current opening to accommodate the dishwasher. It wouldn't fit the last time I tried it. I'm going with an "air switch" for the garbage disposal. FWIW, the garbage disposal is designed to work with septic systems. I'll post more tomorrow after I (hopefully) finish this project.

In addition to that, I got the shop almost all cleaned up and the work table cleared. I also put in the final doorpost so that the wind won't close the big doors and it will keep the doors from damaging the soffits. That's one post in the center to hold the two inner doors and one each on the side to keep the outer doors. I tried carabiners, but am leaning towards gate hooks instead. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. I have found that putting in fence posts is a bit easier than I thought they would be. The first six inches of digging is the hardest and then it goes quickly. Then, using a bit of water and a tamper to get the dirt down around the post really makes it super solid. I use a level to make sure they are square to the ground.

I still have enough energy to put the faucet, the air switch and the Garbage disposal drain on the sink tonight. It looks great!!!

BqnCpTIyEEkHDpIi5jqRXBJSdakSsWI6HCILn0-QC-vxEtNQoDGKkhrUzxOr_yFU2fGSFReun6_VBDJ9s=w1285-h1713-no.jpg

Silt the photo-bomber!

Uh20K9rU4JgLOMIfY14Jd07c012QeW993TddOa99dJWnR753bza1fB-pleP_mU37Fri2aDs059KC335tN=w1285-h1713-no.jpg

Fitting for the garbage disposal.

MVH1d-XhFD2-EI6lNUQqRY2caJFkTaFDDlrN00gVKoTXllaO7enrbPPTrSgtIt31SiamH0ElB0yRM1XQz=w2285-h1713-no.jpg

The sink sitting on the old countertop. It's 4 inches deeper than the previous sink.
The pro-style faucet has a pot filler as well as the spray head.
Of course, as I'm looking at the picture, I see the outlet to the left of the sink. I don't think I noticed that before. I just might wire in a real switch for the disposal there. I'll have plenty of room to work after I take off the old countertop. I like that better than the air switch. Not as gimmicky and I won't have to keep holding the switch down.

Is that for filling lobster cooking pots?
Indubitably. The old sink was so shallow, that even with a longish curved neck, I had to tip pots with any height to get them under and out from under the faucet. This sink is MASSIVE. There's a removable grate in the bottom, so it will always drain and I can even leave pots in there to dry. Why it's so big that I could even bathe a cat or kitten in it. :D :D :D Dishes have been problematic too. When you used the yucky little spray thingy with the old faucet, the water would be all over the place. The four extra inches will really help control that and the new spray nozzle will also do a better job at directing the water down.

Tomorrow, I'm going to make some final decisions about the project. I've kinda been wanting to move the refrigerator over to the sink side which means the pantry has to come out. There's a 12" section to the left of where the dishwasher is going that's not being used at all: it's just boarded up. If I shorten that up, put the fridge over there, then I can easily run a line for the ice maker which is not currently hooked up and have more room in the breakfast nook. Adding cabinets above the nook would make up for any lost pantry space. It's not a well thought out pantry by any means. Just spitballing with Silt sleeping on my chest as I type around her furry butt. Time to head to bed.

When planning the layout of kitchen, (laboratory, batcave, whatever), the layout should follow the product. Fridge to counter to sink to counter to stove to counter or table. No foot traffic path through this layout. This reduces the chance someone who is trying to snag a beer will bump into you while your lugging a pot of hot lobsters.

This kitchen is "galley style". There's both a right and left side to it. The stove is across from the sink and there's a counter between the stove and the fridge. It's not large enough to be useful and I think moving the fridge to the sink side will allow me to create more counter space, which as I've noted, is at a premium.

Here is the sink with the grate in and a close up of the faucet:

G4q0ZmfsNazxVvfUWkFg_366WAJYVJ6x4qF36TpvXcOLB5MRB2bNQDjZLAXGD_op5t5FuUq9_OQNqqBTv=w2448-h1835-no.jpg

t12z9p5Bw6DiwK5_KT_p_HIGe369yCD7cZbkZud9oQW2nb-s7idwjUL9lkBak7ny8ShfbJdk53FpCYsSj=w1378-h1835-no.jpg

The distance between the grate and the pot filling spigot is 16 1/4" and it's 17 1/2" to the bottom of the sink. I can't wait to use this BA (Big Ass) sink.

First, a bit of a backtrack. I put in three posts on the front of the workshop and promised to show some pics.

anVQRRyeaP8UbCf9ASC_8sVMG-VONaZh2V7JssbKshUaQPf1ichFfixqZ0uhW_kyCWoJ1g67odhPUiKS_=w2448-h1835-no.jpg

Damage being down by the doors being allowed to slam into the soffit.

y2BU7KRwGs0JqS1IMM8JYecaKminf488YyrB3WUnFkvV_bE9B6jKuFM30eu3hNWeUwutpVAraenZR7dSv=w1378-h1835-no.jpg

Carabiners holding the two middle doors open.

q9TtW-Xj6nh6S7hXKgt3UlF-dQzIPlmdtPsI1fwfjMa2XIuduCMJZj5YsRNtkTDF25xP91LtWgI0Wu7eO=w1378-h1835-no.jpg

The latch. This is my preferred way at the moment.​

More on the sink in a bit. It's a bigger project than I anticipated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom