I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a day! I did a few hours with the tractor in the am and jumped on the zero turn after lunch. I moved a lot of trees, but am having problems seeing what to move with everything growing over it. So I'm trying to mow as close to the downed trees as possible so I can see what to pick up. I think I spent 7.5 hours in one seat or another. Wow. I'm wiped.

I just skimmed through this thread... my goodness you are a handy man! Super awesome :)

Your comment made me think to myself: "Most guys know how to do this kind of stuff"... but maybe not anymore.

It saddens me to think that young males might not know how to change a tire, let alone what a lug wrench is. I "hoped" this was an exaggeration for the sake of making moms buy an insurance feature, but I'm starting to wonder.

Your comment made me think to myself: "Most guys know how to do this kind of stuff"... but maybe not anymore.

It saddens me to think that young males might not know how to change a tire, let alone what a lug wrench is. I "hoped" this was an exaggeration for the sake of making moms buy an insurance feature, but I'm starting to wonder.
My hubby was home a lot and he did teach my daughter to fix a blocked sink , her hair means she needs to know this! But these larger project actually do take a lot more training these days. Safety! Building codes!

Girls as well as boys need to know how to use basic tools but this is becoming increasingly uncommon. I used to teach sculpture to college freshman and my private joke to myself was: I teach college kids how to put up shelves in their dorm. In Marin Counry I taught a night class in Collage in a high school shop classroom. The entire shop had been converted to a computer room with beautiful solid vintage bandsaws and so forth gathering dust in the corner.

Girls as well as boys need to know how to use basic tools but this is becoming increasingly uncommon.

No debate, but it has been my observation that males tend to be more interested -- or at least used to be. This is not a negative or positive comment about the genders. I don't think this says anything about inherent abilities. Males tend to be more interested in toys that they can't afford so acquire skills to fix worn-out and cheaper versions.

Why didn't you alternate the seams in the sheathing from row to row?
Why don't the ends of each sheet line up with the rafters?
Did you cut each sheet to end on a rafter or did you leave the ends unsupported?
If you started with the end of the first sheet centered on a rafter, then the other sheets also would have ended on a rafter. Then cut the overhang to what you want it to be.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

What an awesome, awesome day. Thanks to Will, Heath, Richard and Dan for showing up and pitching in. I'm adopting Will.

Dan has been the designated cook and is doing more than his usual fabulous job. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Here are some pics from a very long day.

View attachment 449819

View attachment 449820

View attachment 449823

Yum! Pineapple, adobo, Chile tacos.

View attachment 449824

Sheathing almost done!

View attachment 449825

Underlayment almost done!
Tomorrow, we'll be putting on the tin. I just can't wait to see the finished piece.

I just skimmed through this thread... my goodness you are a handy man! Super awesome :)
I have an 18 foot pneumatic sheetrock lift, plus, I can spell..............just say'n...

Ok @The Chairman ! How much have you taught your daughter? ( I think you mentioned she helped you!)
@Thee Frosty has done a lot more than most her age; male or female. She's changed a radiator, brakes, fan motors, helped here on the homestead, helped install a wood floor, started her own business and more. She's a true artist having worked in leather, feathers, clay, embroidery, cross stitch and more. She can do whatever she put's her mind to. Anything is possible, and the resultant chaos is always fun to watch. The only thing you won't ever see her doing is cook.
Why didn't you alternate the seams in the sheathing from row to row?
I wish you had suggested that before I started. It's hard to follow advice after the fact and that sounds like great advice. :D The roof was rated to be bolted straight to the joists sans the underlayment. Did I screw up? It won't be the first time.
I have an 18 foot pneumatic sheetrock lift,
When I build the house, I will remember this. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom