I Finally Did It - I've Retired!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that's great news and I'm happy for you. And jealous. I hope to be blessed with retirement; the one bugaboo I face is that for many of us 'no work' means 'a lot less money.' Even if there are investments, a pension, etc...

But hey, on Scuba Board we've been discussing cheap dive trip options to encourage new divers that the hobby is feasible.

I eagerly await seeing whether you switch from being a big fan of the Caymans to Cozumel. Just say'in...:D

Wow, that's great news and I'm happy for you. And jealous. I hope to be blessed with retirement; the one bugaboo I face is that for many of us 'no work' means 'a lot less money.' Even if there are investments, a pension, etc...
Exactly why, at 57, I'm getting the big ticket trips under my belt over the next 4-5 years! But, as you said, there are always ways to get in good diving without breaking the bank!

I'm sure we'll continue to see great, detailed posts from Kathy about her dive trips - maybe even more now!:)

Congratulations!! I am working to get to pre-retirement......maybe. Enjoy it!!
What exactly is pre-retirement (other than one’s entire working life or one‘s entire life?
:wink:
I am semi kidding... I know in some countries (or companies or organizations or ... don‘t know really) reduced hours are common prior to retirement.

Is there a "post retirement" too? I've known a few people who can't keep themselves busy enough and just HAVE to go back to work. I've never been one of them.
When in doubt there's always T.V.

What exactly is pre-retirement (other than one’s entire working life or one‘s entire life?
:wink:
I am semi kidding... I know in some countries (or companies or organizations or ... don‘t know really) reduced hours are common prior to retirement.

I have a ways to go for retirement but work in a job that is more of a younger man's game. Will still work full time but in a place I want to retire. With year round diving. Maybe not my usual work.

I have a ways to go for retirement but work in a job that is more of a younger man's game.

"...work in a job that is more of a younger man's game"
beware-of-an-old-man-ina-profession-wheremen-usually-die-3735024.png

Is there a "post retirement" too? I've known a few people who can't keep themselves busy enough and just HAVE to go back to work. I've never been one of them.
When in doubt there's always T.V.

For me it was an opportunity to do something a bit more creative than what I had been doing most of my working life. I took up the saxophone now that I finally could afford to realize my lifelong dream of becoming a jazz musician. I'm gigging with two jazz bands and a jam band (that actually has gotten some airplay - check it out here: Mostly Young Band).

Between spending a couple of hours each morning working out to keep this old body going, a couple of hours practicing sax, and time spent on my other hobby of photography - land and just recently added underwater this past couple of years, and DIVING! a couple of times a week, the time just goes. Just hope it doesn't go too fast.

Diving came 9 years after retirement for me (due to location), but I've dabbled in ie. "played at" jazz for years--even on alto a time or two. But I never insisted on pay as with my classical gigs on clarinet, as I don't consider myself good enough with jazz.
Your band sounds tight. You're a more polished jazz player than I.
You can check out one of my versions of the Artie Shaw Concerto on Youtube (Tom Heimer--Westchester Band) or check it out on my book's website--tomheimer.ampbk.com/
Yes, the time does fly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom